So, you are a member of the Senate or the House of Representatives

I have seen a great deal of bashing but very few actual plans from many here (democrats and republicans).

So, here is your chance. If you were in the Senate or in the House, what would be YOUR plan to get us out of this economic crisis?

Let's see how many different ideas we can come up with!

Also, please read the previous comments to avoid repeating the same response more than once (meaning, tax cuts can only be used once, not as a simple pat answer... same goes for a simple pat answer of spend more).

No nasty or hateful responses, let's keep it civil. If you have nothing to add, there is no need to reply.

This is open to ALL political positions, not just democrats and republicans. I would love to hear from everyone on the political spectrum!

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 7:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, for starters.....

Limit Congress to serving no more than 2 terms (like the POTUS)

Prevent Congress from voting for their own raises.

Stop paying for lawmakers high priced insurance premiums.

Stop paying lawmakers their full salary after serving just one term or retirement.

Make Congress pay in to the Social Security system.

Stop handing out aid to illegal aliens.

Secure our borders.

Stop allowing babies born to illegal aliens automatic US Citizenship.

Develop a computer program that cross-checks social security numbers with fingerprints to stop fraud--including voter registration, and abuse of the welfare system

Stop the bailouts!

Cut out the pork and frivolous spending.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Get rid of Mark to Market valuation
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• timelessglass is this:

Mark-to-market is an accounting methodology of assigning a value to a position held in a financial instrument based on the current market price for the instrument or similar instruments. For example, the final value of a futures contract that expires in 9 months will not be known until it expires. If it is marked to market, for accounting purposes it is assigned the value that it would currently fetch in the open market.

what you are referring to?

momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Ok, not that anyone in the Senate or House would agree to the first one, lol, here are some of my ideas:

1) Everyone in the senate and house takes a pay cut so that none of them makes more than $100K a year (The current salary (2009) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.) from: http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa031200a.htm

2) The president and vice-president take a pay cut to make no more than $150K for the vice president and $225 for the president. (The President of the United States earns $400,000 a year. The vice president's annual salary is $221,100.) from: http://www.govspot.com/know/presidentsalary.htm
    Anonymous

• Thank you LoriKeet for your ideas. I agree with most of them.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would also like a verification system so that employers can only hire those who are here legally.

Those who are here illegally need to be sent back where they came from. This will free up jobs that "Americans won't do." As I patently disagree with this statement, there is no job, especially in our current economy, that a citizen won't do.

Employers who are found to be employing illegals are fined and those jobs opened to US Citizens.

NO earmarks. Period.

Tax cuts for businesses so that they are more inclined to keep jobs in this country, rather than outsourcing.

I have more in my head but my kids keep coming in and making me lose my train of thought. lol I'll get back to this later, after the kids are in bed and I can think straight again.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Of course I agree with Lorikeet lol

I like the fair tax idea too.I really wish that could be implemented

Good to hear you agree with most of those momof3in TN

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Doesn't make me very popular with my own party. LOL Especially about illegal immigration.

I like the fair tax idea to some extent. I need to research it more though. Is that also called the flat tax? If so, I would have to think there should be a minimum income level applied. It would not be very fair to those who make say, $25K for a family of 4 to be taxed 25% (or even 10%) as that would disproportionately tax those who make the least in our society. Again, I have to research that more so I apologize.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I've answered this question more times than I can count (not a slam on momof, just an indication of how often it comes up) and figured it would be easier to just type it up once and for all in a journal.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• LOL Thanks NotPanicking.

Sorry, I am not always around the Politics questions so I did not realize this has come up before. I am sorry.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009