On what terms do you...

have another baby? My husband and I already have one whom is 13months and we LOVE him and kids in general. MY question is, do we have another one just cause we want one. We live on our own in a two bedroom apartment, make enough money to get by, and are a very happy and loving family. What should I consider when thinking about having another?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• my husband and i have had this discussion and here are some things that we ask ourselves when we have baby fever. 1) can we afford it 2) are we ready-mentally and physically 3) our son has speech therapy and some issues we are trying to deal with, so will having another child interfer with his appointments etc.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If you can support a second child, if you have the space for one, if you can afford to take the time off to spend time with your new baby and make sure the oldest does not feel neglected, and you and your SO agree you are both ready to tackle this together, then it is time to talk about having another one.
    However, and I am not trying to bash you at all, if you are making just enough to get by right now, then it doesn't sound like you should have another one.
    Example: We were scraping by when we got pregnant with Kaylee. We continued that way until she was about 4 months old. If we had continued just getting by, with nothing in savings at all, then we would not consider having a second child. However, where we are now (we keep a consistent 3k in savings) he has a much better job and we have come a long way and for sure could support a second child if we so chose to have one.
    kwim?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would say desire to add to your family, financial stability and the room for another. For my husband and I another big thing was knowing that there would be someone there to watch our other little ones when I would be in labor. Alot of people also have plans as to what amount of time they want to put between their little ones. For my hubby and I we decided that we wanted them close together which was right around a year and a half, for other it is 3 years or 5. Just think about what you would want in spacing. It seems like you have thought about everything that we typically think about. Also along with the financial stability for now would you be able to provide the things that you want to down the road whether it is college tuition, private schools tuition or whatever is important to you and your husband.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If you want another one I'd say go for it because if everyone had enough money and room to have kids chances are that they wouldn't be able to or something like that. my husband and I done just fine we lived in a one bedroom apt with a 2 yr old and baby and we managed just fine till i got done with school because we couldn't afford anything else with just my husband working. I mean our bills were paid and our kids didn't go without so just something you will have to think about....
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2009