anyone near Camp Lejuene? Hubert or Jacksonville, NC

we will be getting new orders in the next 6 months and have an option to request a station. among the choices is Camp Lejuene, NC near Jacksonville and Hubert. What is great about the area? Whats not so great? Any great places to live? Do you like it? Thanks.

mrspierce06

Asked by mrspierce06 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i live in jacksonville nc and i dont think there is anything to great about it except the ocean. besides that it is ok just not the greatest in the world
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I lived in Jacksonville with my best friend cause her husband was stationed at camp lejeune. I agree, its not all that great except being so close to the ocean.
    brittoh

Answer by brittoh at 9:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I live in Jacksonville & I really cant say much becaues I have not been here that long, I do know alot of moms who say they will meet you never do. It seems like everyone just keeps to themselves. But I try to make sure I make the best out of every situation. Good luck!!

lovelydivah04

Answer by lovelydivah04 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Oh geez. these answers make me want to cry. My husband has orders to recruit there and we will be moving the beginning of April. He will be recruiting and be gone all day...i just hope i make some friends!!!
    jazzyjae

Answer by jazzyjae at 3:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yikes! Those answers are rough. We lived in Hubert for almost 5 years. The thing about the military is--you have to make that area your home. We had a wonderful time there & actually go back to visit! lol Our house was off Hwy 172 and we had AMAZING landlords. Spent all our holidays with them & they were the 1st people my husband called when our son was born. Let me know if you want their info. Anyway, Jville can be very hectic & busy & the traffic stinks, but the surrounding cities & bases have a lot to offer. Dr. Martin's Pediatrics is awesome. You can even call him at home if you have an emergency. The beaches are beautiful, especially down towards Emerald Isle & if you keep going there's the newly renovated Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium. We used to fish & ride 4 wheelers in Croatan Nat'l Forest, just watch for bears! The Hem, thrift store in Swansboro has cheap deals & the money goes back to people in need.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You can shop & do tourist things in Wilmington & Myrtle Beach is a great day trip. The USO is always looking for volunteers-especially to donate food around the holidays. They also offered belly dancing classes in the basement, it was a ton of fun & I met some women that I still keep in touch with. My husband liked to target shoot & fish at payponds in Hubert-Pole Cat & Flatwoods. We also went to the mudbogs (they have a family seating section) in the summer. Fireworks in July. Christmas parades & flotillas in December. I was very involved with my husband's unit. We were a very tight knit group & all the wives were great friends, from the PFC's wife to the Major's. Each hosted monthly events & group get togethers. We cleaned barracks , made signs & baked for homecomings so even the single guys felt special. I still talk to our old neighbors & friends from there. You just have to make it your home.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• See & try new things & places. Eastern Outfitter's is great if your husband is a hunter. He can hunt on base or on gov't land out the back gate in Snead's Ferry. Almost forgot, if you're going to be having a baby during your stay...Crist Clinic is great. I had a perfect midwife & had an easy drug free delivery at Onslow Memorial Hospital. You can fight tricare to be seen out in town. I really didn't want to be seen at the Naval. The tent sales & day after Thanksgiving sales on base are the best. I went every year. I did most of my shopping at the commissary (tax free) and Sam's Club. Let me know if you need any more info. We really do miss it at times. Now we're back in our hometown-no stop lights & the closest walmart is 30 miles away! lol Love the country, miss the city's/base convenience.

RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:44 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Jacksonville isn't the greatest place in the world, but it's not absolutely terrible, either. We're really close to the water, and there are tons of restaurants, but other than that, there really isn't much to do.
    KristinPaige

Answer by KristinPaige at 7:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2009