Income from SSI=we won't rent to you?? WTF??

Ok, this has been bugging the shit out of me, so if you have any input, it would be appreciated:

Is it illegal for a landlord to say they won't rent to people who are on ssi? Since 99.99% of people on ssi are disabled, isn't that considered discrimination based on disability?

I'm not on ssi, but it still bothers me for some reason.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• You have to have a certain percentage of income vs. the rent & many times SSI isnt going to be enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Could it be that the income didn't reflect the ability to pay the rent easily? My neighbor has 2 houses to rent across the street from us, and every tom dick and harry keep stopping to rent, but no one, in months has been able to show they can budget enough money to pay b/c their debt level is too high, their income not enough, etc.
    Just a thot.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It's a steady income and yes that is discrimination.

Anonymous

• we cant get an apt because our income is from unemployment ugh it bugs me so bad
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• no they can not turn you down he or she is breaking the law big time
    Anonymous

• they can turn you dont cause SSI doesnt pay that much so they can say thats the reason
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 10:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• OP, what is your monthly income and how much is the rent? I do financial counceling and can probably tell you what they are looking at to determine eligibility.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If it's a private home they can say no to anyone without reason. Because for a handicapped person there may need to be renovations made like if they used a wheel chair. Public housing has to be handicapped equipped. Or it could be that they are on Sect. 8. No one has to accept that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The same thing happen to my mom. She was trying to rent a room and they turn her down because she recieves Disability.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 9:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• IT'S NOT BECAUSE ITS DISABILITY. Most all apartments, or rental homes have income guidelines. They aren't going to say let you rent an apartment for 900 a month when you have a 1200 a month income. There are percentages they go by to make sure they get their money and their tenents are more likely to pay. SSI dosn't pay much.

As for the person being angry they couldn't get an apartment with unemployment income LMAO. Seriously. SERIOUSLY???! IT'S UNEMPLOYMENT. As in NO JOB. No job = no money. Get a clue.
    Anonymous