BF 6mo and quest on juice and cereal

I started a little cereal at 4mo here and there but daily since 5mo and added avocado-she loves it. Well as I slooowly move along w/new items, I've come to wonder if there is a diff between rice or oatmeal cereal? When would I consider gerber juice like pear.? What can I do diff to the oatmeal?

babygirl821

Asked by babygirl821 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• U can add some fruit but they should really only have veges first. And the solids are only extra not to replace a meal. And I think rice is more constipating. Good luck. I just started my 6 month old dd on solid. At 5 months too!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Really, cereal is unnecessary. It is a simple carb (like white bread) and it digests quickly, causing her sugar levels to rise and then drop quickly. All the vitamins in it are artificial. We are a very carb focused society and most other countries dont give their babies cereal. At 6months, all she really needs is breastmilk, but you can give her a bit of fruit/veggies here and there. You may want to skip the purees (google 'baby led weaning') and just give her soft bits of food to self feed. The juice really has no purpose either. It's just more sugar, mostly.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• oatmeal is a little harder to digest. It is a more complex grain. Juices arent necessary unless doc orders for constipation and in general should be avoided. Also to save money you can buy regular oatmeal (the plain kind) and just puree it for baby. It is MUCH more cost effective! Our pedi actually recommended it since there are no add ins like soy lecithin which is in baby cereals and our son is intolerant to soy.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009