Crunches

How come whenever I do crunched or sit ups my neck hurts the next day. Am I doing them wrong? Or is it my neck muscles need to be worked also?

kristinmamaof2

Asked by kristinmamaof2 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• it could be because laying on a hard floor is straining your back/neck. try laying on one of those big work out balls and doing it.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 9:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• mine does the same thing.. make sure you are looking up not side ways or anything like that and see if that helps.. Mine was doing the same thing untill I stoped looking around and just looked straight up and it dont hurt anymore.. Hope that works ..God bless you
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• When you do them incorrectly, it will cause your neck to hurt. Make sure you are actually using your abs to do the sit up and you aren't pulling up on your neck with your hands. It sounds like you aren't doing them right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You need to relax your neck in your hands while your doing crunches seriously lift your neck up then put your hands behind your head and relax your neck into your hands. This is how you should do crunches and you never use your arms(hands) to lift your body, you squeeze your abs and your body should come up. Also try different types of ab work outs. Type crunchless abs in at youtube.com and it'll show you how to do abs without doing crunches.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 2:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009