How do you handle a 12 month old and a newborn?

I am currently 37 weeks pregnant and my son will be 12 months on the 25th of March. I have a hard time keeping my cool with him now. I don't have the patience like I thought I would. I dont know if its just because I am pregnant and my hormones are in wack or what. But I will also be having a C-section. And it just seems like too much to handle right now. I am trying to finish my college online as well. And I have no time for myself, I am constantly with my son, which I love him to death but I need time for myself as well before I lose it.lol. Any advice?

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you can google "how to keep a 1 year old busy" and find tons of activities he can do by himself so you can at least have a little time for yourself.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 10:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• the picture seems hard just the thought of it....but believe its not hard....if u have someone to help u around ull be able rest in the day..and at night ask ur husband to give u a hand with the kids take turns.i have three now n they were all c sections i have now a 5 and a 2 yr old and a 7 weeks baby so i watch my daughter meanwhile the older one is in school. believe me i am with them 24-7 but when the weekends come its my husbands job to deal with them while i catch on some sleep n just relax.
    pinkdesi

Answer by pinkdesi at 10:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Definitely enjoy those times when he's napping and when he goes to bed. You may be tired by the end of the night but spend a few minutes gathering your thoughts. When I brought home my second son from the NICU, it was hard to adjust. Yes, I was healed up from my emergency c/s but I was recovering at the Ronald McDonald House while my little guy was in the NICU. I was on the go with my oldest at the time. It was hard and you had to learn to be patient. If you need to, step outside to get some fresh air. I'm a firm believer on CIO and it's helped me to hold on to whatever sanity I had left. I now have 3 kids under the age of 5 years old. Baby gates and Noggin are my best friends..lol
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 12:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I had my DD when my son was 13 months and both of mine were c-sections, it is stressful, but he really wanted to help alot, and was just curious. now he is 2 and she is going to be 1 on st. paddys day, and i can tell you, the only time i have for myself is after they are in bed. it gets easier as you go along, dont worry.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My son was about 14 months old when i concieved my daughter. my son is now 2 and my daughter is 9 months old. yes, its stressful with two little ones but also you have to create a routine so its less stressful in the future. like for now i'd take a nice long bath to relax yourself while your son is sleeping for naptime or when he's in bed for the night. that's what always soothed me on stressing days is a nice long bath. Also, can give him those makers that only write on special paper that way he doesnt make a mess when he's coloring.. plus.. it entertains him...
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Enjoy your last few weeks with him before the baby comes. My youngest 2 are 12 months 2 weeks apart... I won't lie, it was tough at times, but there are alot of activities you can do with your child to keep him busy. I too had a c-section and it was hard, because I could not pick him up. So I usually put my daughter in her seat, then my son sat on the bed with me and we colored, played blocks...ect while she was sleeping.

Good luck and congrats :-)
    mom2AJandDamien

Answer by mom2AJandDamien at 4:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2009