anyone rent or own a mobile home?

I have decided I will be moving to a double-wide mobile home. Anything I need to know in advance? Tell me a little about yours and if you are happy with it!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We lived in one for a couple of years, about 3 years ago. When we moved in we ended up having to do a lot of work like replacing carpet, small amounts of flooring, drawers, holes in the wall, . . . When we looked at it everything appeared great and trying to respect their privacy we took them at their word. Long story short, they were less than honest and covered up a lot of damage. That could happen to any home, not just mobile homes. My advice is that you take a close look. The value tends to decrease greatly in a short amount of time so make sure your happy with what your getting. After we finished our work, we loved it! We were in college and expecting our 1st child. It was great and other than our stupidity in the beginning we didn't have any problems. Good luck in your desicion!!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• DH worked for Palm Harbor for a few years. He says the only thing you really have to worry about if you buy new-or even a resale-is that after a few years they start to 'settle' and you might see cracks in the drywall and doors not closing right, and things like that. When you move in, check to see if the warranty is still good-if it's newer-and see if you can get things done before the warranty runs out.
    Other than that, he says no worries, most double wides are better than site-built now anyways.
    mamahud

Answer by mamahud at 11:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I rent a double wide mobile home and have decided to buy it. I love it. The only difference I can tell is that the walls are not as thick as a regular home. My place is so spacious and has a beautiful kitchen. The living room has a wonderful fireplace that makes it so homey, The only thing that I don't care for is the outside skirting. I will be planting some flowering shrubs in the spring to cover it. Mine is on an acre of land and has much more space outside for my children to play than the neighborhoods I was looking to buy in. Good luck. It's all what you make of it:)
    KayKay911

Answer by KayKay911 at 1:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't live in one, but dh use to sell them (manufatured homes) and he warns of the piping that are underneath the trailer.. get someone or yourselves to put pipe insulation wrap around them if you live in a seasonal area, one that you have winter... those pipes freeze quicker than in a regular house...
    and for KayKay-- since you have land have you thought of having a slab or a basement put under the place? this will elimante the skirting...
    Good Luck...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:46 AM on Mar. 5, 2009