cord blood- public banking/donation

i am planning a c section for april(have to because of complications), i want to donate my cord blood to an honest public cord bank/stem cell oragnization ... one that will just give it to sick kids and not make a profit off of it... i mean to ask my doc but i always forget. so if you know of one/ have done this yourself please share your opinion/experience.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 10:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Health

• We just went to our local blood bank. It was the only option at the time unless we wanted to pay through the nose for private banking.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• p.s. i have looked at the info /websites that i can find online and think it is hard to tell a good one from another... obviously there are ones that you pay to keep it yourself but i dont want to do that, i want to donate it.... someone can use it today.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Its much more important for your child to get all of their blood. Do not allow the doctor to clamp/cut the cord until it stops pulsating. Google 'delayed cord cutting'. This decreases the risk of a lot of illnesses, including jaundice.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have my dd's in a bank in Arizona. I don't know the name. It is great self assurance in the event of sickness in the family.
    worrier

Answer by worrier at 11:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2009