My son hates to color/draw/write...ect.

He has always hated to draw, color, fingerpaint, ect ect.
He doesn't hold crayons correctly and more often than not he switches hands. I am not sure if he is left handed or right handed.
He starts kindergarten in August I am scared this will hinder him.

He is in a special education PreK program for speech issues. When you can get him to color he still just scribbles and most the time he will be coloring and looking around the room all at the same time.

Any suggestions?

sophie_sue24

Asked by sophie_sue24 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try drawing/coloring something that he really likes. Like if he is into super heros or pirates. My son drew nothing but pirates for months because he loved them.
    Anonymous

• My son has Asperger syndrome and hated to color or draw. He never did until kinder either. A lot had to do with the fact that he had no imagination. He just wanted to make patterns with toys, KWIM ?

He was behind and still is with fine motor skills and gross motor skills. We found out many kids on the spectrum have those issues and a lot go with sensory problems. He had some OT therapy.

If you want him to at least build the muscles in his fingers, try getting him to cut playdoh or make playdoh snakes. Also a fun thing is getting some kids chopsticks or fat tweezers for kids ( teacher store) and have him pick up small objects with them as a game.

Also google "handwriting without tears" they make some prek things to teach letters/writing without having to actually write. For example they have a tray with the letter one it, then the kid shapes the playdoh into the letter. Look there so he can at least learn formation
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It will be important for him to learn how to hold a pencil or crayon correctly so maybe you could try a Magna Doodle. Kids seem to really like those. You might also look around & try to find an electronic game system that uses some type of writing instrument to use it. This will give him the practice he needs to hold a pencil or crayon correctly. Good luck.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Thanks so much for all the advice. I just wan't him to be ready for K.
    sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The handwriting without tears is a wonderful program. An OT at my school also told me once that children do need to strengthen their hands as stated before. Lacing and stringing small beads too. She also mentioned and I have seen this work beautifully, give him short, chunky pieces of crayon, chalk, short markers, etc. When he uses the short pieces, his fingers will naturally position themselves in a three point/mature grasp. She also said to always put the paper or coloring page on a slant or taped to the side of a cabinet or wall. The hand goes into the appropriate grasp when it is held up in a vertical position. I have also tried the short pencils that you find at the golf course. They are not very thick, but are short. To check for hand dominence, look to see which hand he reaches out with to receive objects. That usually tells which hand is dominant. Has your sone been evaluated by an OT?
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Love to Teach, thank you so much for your response.
    A little background on my son.

He had severe Infant Jaundice. bilirubins in the 30s. The doctors told me that whatever brain damage he may or may not have incurred would have to show itself as he progressed, so I am not sure how much of this (if any) is related to his jaundice.

1.He Does not SAY his ABCs nor does he know them by sight. He can match them. He can match just about anything.
    2. He knows SOME of his colors now. Orange seems to be his favorite. He still has a hard time differentiating.
    3. He can Count to 5.

I had him tested by our school system in august because i was worried he just wasn't "where" a 4 year old ought to be. My mom and in laws assured me he was a Normal little 4 yo boy. I knew there wasn't something quite right.
    I had him tested. At 4 years 5 months he scored at 2 yrs 7 months on his speech, language, and math skills.
    sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• He goes to school 2 days a week in effort to get him ready for K. As far as I know he has never been tested by an OT. Would the school realize he may need extra help. I will definetly ask next time i talk to his teacher.
    sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I forgot to add that the speech therapist, not the pediatrician, or nurses at the hospital found that he was tongue tied. He had his frenulaplasty in september, and his speech has progressed well! We are hoping he won't have a lisp at all!
    sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• From what you said it sounds like there is a developmental delay + speech. That is quite an age difference to where he should be at. I could see kinder being a real issue if he does not have the proper supports.

Do they have him listed under anything...like "developmental delay ? " Also does he have an IEP ? If he does you can call a meeting to discuss evaluating him for OT etc... If you don't have an IEP and the school plans on tossing him into a regular kinder in a few months...you need to get one ASAP. The school should have done a full IEP asses. and told you if he qualified or not. Someone else might help you better here. My son got an IEP in kinder so I did not start the same way as you with the special needs prek.

You could also take your son to a developmental pediatrician to assess if their a something going on.

Are there any other concerns socially, sensory ( noises, textures, toe walking ) etc..
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Hi thanks for your reply once again. He is on an IEP, we have our next "official" meeting in May to see if he is ready to go to Kindergarten.
    He is sensitive to loud noises, but I have always chalked that up to his having ear infections so much as a baby, that now that he doesn't have them anymore noises aren't as muffled. He seems to do ok socially at school, although it took him a while to get to that point. He does hate to get anything sticky or yucky on his hands he hated the sand at the beach, and he can't stand to finger paint although I haven't even tried in a year...lol, he looked like a wounded puppy last time we tried.
    sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 3:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2009