Has people forgotten?

Has women forgotten where we came from? Natural birthing, Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxxing (or only a very few).. Why is it now days to live like this is crazy.

Ask your parents how they were raised. ask them if they where breastfed. how "childproof" was the house? did they have a crib as a newborn? how many shots did they get before the age of 5... They are healthy are they not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't co-sleep, but other than that, everything you've listed we believe in. Well, not to say that I don't believe in co-sleeping, my husband is a very heavy sleeper, which is why we don't.
    I think a lot of women are missing out on a major bonding experience. And natural birth is so empowering!
    People think "modern medicine" is the best thing we have going, but don't realize that this modern medicine that they are so quick to take advantage of has a whole host of tragic outcomes. The US has the highest mortality rate for both mothers and babies at birth of any industrialized country... and guess what, we're the ones using all the drugs and c-sections. Most industrialized countries still use midwives and have much more sucessful outcomes than us in birthing.
    Vaccines change our whole immune systems, so they don't function properly. And the diseases they're vaccinating for were sharply declining BEFORE vaccines
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• my mother wasn't breastfed and neither was i. my mother was not co-slept with. and my mother was vaccinated. i dont see what is wrong with taking advantage of modern medicine. i understand their are risks but i am sure glad that we dont have plagues and epidemics wiping out whole towns anymore.

also, i am very healthy and i was not co-slept, not breastfed, etc.

i dont think its crazy to breast feed your baby. i do think it isnt very smart to co-sleep. i think kids need to learn to sleep in their own bed. i would never co-sleep. also, i do think it is crazy not to give your child the standard vaccinations. the non-standard ones, i think is fine...but i think my baby is healthier having had them.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• "Has women forgotten"??

Has you forgotten tenses?
    Anonymous

• you seem to have alot to say on "natural mothering" tonight..nothing to do this evening?

well if you call it "natural mothering" which to me all mothering is natural..but i co-sleep,.breastfed,.but i did have an epidural,.and i vaccinate.but i definitly dont call it "unatural mothering" as you seem to think
    Anonymous

• Some women cannot breastfeed or it makes them uncomfortable, and I don't fault them for that. I formula fed beginning at the hospital when my kids were born, and that was my decision and I will do it again and again. Comparing different eras can be a risky game. I mean the era your speaking of, is also the time frame when they didn't even use carseats in cars! That does not mean we should all remove carseats from our cars. These "New" items were invented and are being used for the health and well being of the child. I don't see anything wrong with taking advantage of that at all. If anything, Parenting should be improving with all these new advances. I see what your saying though, why if a parent, parents like they did in the old days they are called crazy and I think thats just because we are only USED to what we know and anything outside of that comfort zone if foreign and we don't take too well to it.
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• 'Has' you forgotten that some of us have parents that were raised in the '40's when breastfeeding was not the 'in' thing? I was born in the '60's when breastfeeding still wasn't vogue. From around the 1920's until the 1970's breastfeeding declined because bottle-feeding was associated with scientific motherhood and also with freedom from domesticity. The medical community was under the impression that it was best for nursing staff to care for a newborn and let the mother recover so many moms and babies were separated for the first 24 hours during which babies were introduced to formula.
    As for vaccines? Well I know 2 people around my parents age who suffer horrible from complications due to having polio as a child. I don't want that for my kids and I'm glad I was vaccinated.
    And both my neither mother nor I were not born using natural methods. My mom and grandma both were completely knocked out when they gave birth.
    Anonymous

• Wow, that last sentence didn't make sense. I meant to say that neither my mother nor I were born using 'natural' methods. Sorry for the weird typos...
    Anonymous

• Anonymous you seem to have alot to say on "natural mothering" tonight..nothing to do this evening?

-wrong anon person. this is my only post of the day-honestly. :) & i didnt read any questions on CM previously today ... lol.. oddly its just a coincidence.

Anonymous

• Has people forgotten?

Have people forgotten how to speak English?

It's grammar day.  I get that freebie.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• sorry for the bad writting, i was trying to write my thought out too quickly before laying my DD down for the night.. shame on me!

and 11:32 is very correct! most of our mothers dont remember birth because they where knocked out. And the whole formula bit is correct as well.(tonight isnt a good night for me, is it? lol).. What made me think of this question was actually remembering my great-grandma & great-great grandma which i was lucky enough to have. They lived simply, on farms, and are the most healthy people I have ever seen.  I guess I should have been more general. humans have been around for so long, so living naturally must have been doing us good. I fear/worry that all this science we live off of now  is going to slap us in the face one day.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Mar. 5, 2009