My daughter is 12 months old and I just stopped breastfeeding. My boobs hurt so bad. Anyone have any tricks to easy the pain?

I Bf my 1st child and I dont remember this much pain!!! Its awful. Hot showers and frozen peas aren't cutting it!! I can't even rock her right now and it just makes me SAD!

Farmmomof2

Asked by Farmmomof2 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to let them dry up on thier own. With my first it went right away then with my second it lasted for weeks. But the pain lasted maybe a week. The milk just lingured on for a while.
    Anonymous

• And then my boobs fell to the ground!
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 10:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Did you stop cold turkey??? Go pump or nurse your baby..right away!!!!

Then stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group and check out the "How to Wean" post in the Resources forum. It will give you several methods which DON'T lead to pain.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I stopped breastfeeding after 5 months b/c I went back to work and the facilities for me to pump were not par and I wasn't producing as much milk. The few things I did to help when I felt sore was use those heat packs that are supposed to be for your back or neck where you shake them up and they get hot, like handwarmers in a way. Or I'd use the cool packs you're supposed to use for fevers. I don't know if it is true or not but I heard there is some sort of medication the doctors can give you to help dry the milk faster, but I'm not sure.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• No not cold turkey. She has just been nursing in the middle of the night. I new she was loosing intrest so I just decided to stop and now I'm in pain. she hasnt nursed in 3 days. Can't turn back now!
    Farmmomof2

Answer by Farmmomof2 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• **grin** Don't be surprised if she wants to nurse tonight...they do like making liars out of us!

Ice packs. Cabbage leaves in your bra. Anything with sage in it. All these things will help.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Cabbage leaves help. Freeze them or put them in your fridge then use something to break the veins of the cabbage.. like use your hand and push down to break it open- it helped when I was trying to dry up my milk after my 2nd pregnancy...
    mrslloyd

Answer by mrslloyd at 10:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• As bad as it sounds i layed on minde with frozen bagged veggies on them. take some tylenol and lay on them should make them better in a few days. and everytime you would breastfeed just lay on them
    MyGodSent

Answer by MyGodSent at 10:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i had to have my husband wrap an ace bandage around them really right and i wore a sports bra... this held them together and it was the only way to get through the day... good luck
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 11:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Binding can damage your breast tissue and is no longer recommended.
    Anonymous