Why do people want their kids to grow up so fast?

This is an honest question. I really don't care what other people do with their kids, but some of the things that I have noticed parents doing seem like their are making their kids/babies grow up so fast. Why put shoes on a baby? Who can't even stand or crawl yet? Why feed them regular cow's milk and jarred baby food at 3 months old? Why pierce their ears?
Maybe it's just me, but I always wanted my babies to stay babies for as long as they could.
I know that it sounds like I'm being judgemental, but I truely don't understand why you would do things with your child that were unnecesary and things that really, an older child should be doing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I think making them grow up fast is letting them act like grown people with attitudes and not saying NO to them. I think that is why 10 year olds are having sex and kids are not getting a chance to be kids.
    Anonymous

• Ughhh I completely agree. Although I have a little bit different situation. I recently got a job at a daycare and they are totally focused on getting the kids "ahead" of their age as possible. I don't have a problem with this but they completely take it way too far. A new 6 week old baby just came into the baby room and I heard one of the girls say "I'm not going to keep holding her because then she'll get used to it and want to be held all the time." I was like WHATTTT!!! She's 6 weeks old! Of course she should be held alot! I work in the 1 year old room and they just moved a 10 month old in there and are in the process of moving a 6 month old in. I keep thinking isn't this room for 1 year olds?? We were told not to baby the kids or hold them when they cry either. They want us to treat them like adults but how can I! They are babies still!!!!
    Anonymous

• I agree! My little boys are little boys. (5,4 and 3) . They know how to dress themselves, go potty by themselves, and stuff like that. Its my job to teach them how to be self sufficient. But not grown up.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 10:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Anon-I worked in a daycare and saw the same things! I heard so many other teachers say "I don't hold no babies" well then you better look for another freaking job! I would wear the babies in a moby wrap when I could, especially when they first started coming there and they weren't comfortable yet. I swear, around about the 1st birthday, they started talking about potty training! ugh...

I agree people make their kids grow up too soon. Our babies don't give a crap about our 9-5 world! They didnt come out of the womb with a calendar! They need to be held and comforted and nursed!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• when i was a baby, i was on solids at like 1 month per the doctor. so feeding standards are always changing. and since feeding standards change with the times, i am not surprised that some people choose to give their 3 month old jar food. i chose to listen to my doctor and didn't give her cereal till 4 mo., baby food 6 mo.

shoes. people put shoes on their babies because it looks cute with outfits. lol. i got some free shoes one time and i sometime put them on her for going on in the cold. also. now she is able to stand up (while i hold her hands....) so i dont think its wierd to have her in shoes sometimes. i dont do it that often though because its difficult. lol.

at least that is what i think. i dont think any of it has anything to do with trying to make their kids grow up any faster than they already do.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I am anxious for my kids to grow up...just because I want to know what kind of people they turn out to be. But, I am in now way rushing my kids lol...Little bitty kids dont have horrible attitudes. As far as ear piercing goes.....I am not going to have my daughter's ears pierced until she is able to ask me her self...I got my ears pierced when I was 6 weeks old and I hardley ever wore earring growing up and my ears are now closed..
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 11:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I put shoes on my babies because it went well with the outfit....LOL!!! Just kidding I did it because it was cold outside and I don't believe in bringing my kids outside in the cold with just SOCKS. Yes I pierced my daughter's ears because she's a girl. I also fed my children baby food and cereal very soon and I'm talking earlier then 3 months. It's reality. Everyone raises their children differently. It's not bringing them up to fast it's doing what you want with YOUR children. If you want yours to be babies then keep breastfeeding till they are 15. Thats your business and no one else's. Not bashing but being realistic.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think people making their babies grow up quickly is the least of our worries, though I do agree that it's sad.
    Have you seen some of the clothes they sell for little girls? That is one thing that really irks me!!! And I don't understand why any parent would buy them. They were these little mini skirts that I'm sure make every pedophile's head turn. Their clothes are the same that teens and college girls are wearing, just smaller versions. I also hate to see little girls in bikinis.. there are too many disgusting people out there to put young girls in that.
    And those shirts that say "my sister did it" or "I always get what I want," what on earth are parents trying to raise? I don't wonder why so many kids are disrespectful brats today.
    Sorry, maybe a little off topic, but it really gets my blood boiling
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Have you seen some of the clothes they sell for little girls?

I have a HUGE problem with those damn shorts that have something written on the ass! Please, get rid of those. IF I had a girl, there's no way she would ever wear shorts with something like "juicy" or "cute" written on her bottom end. That's giving someone a reason to look at her butt.

BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:26 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• OP here :)
    I just wanted to re-iterate something. When it comes to how to feed the child and when to start solids, etc., I'm not really concerned about the baby being too young for solids. My line of thinking is that the longer they are on the boob or the bottle, the longer they are a baby.
    And shoes, well, it's REALLY warm here and I don't often see babies with shoes, so I guess that's just where I come from....that I don't get it.

Anyway, lots of good points, ladies :)
    Anonymous