Single mom's

What's a good reply when someone asks where the daddy is... Aka people you don't really know and people you do know

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i could ask my mom what she said because my bio-dad left as soon as he found out my mom was preg.

sorry i dont think i could give a good answer since i am not in your position. the only thing i can think of is that i would just say he isn't in the picture or something like that. i never ask people that on purpose. i try to be sensitive to peoples different situations.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• depends on who is asking.. I have 4 kids.. the first was a guy that became very abusive shortly after I became preg.. the next 2 - was with me for 7 years and passed away.. and there are some odd circumstances for the last one..
    But my favorite answer to a stranger who says.. . .. "wow, you have 4 kids, do they all have the same daddy?"
    My reply "nope, i just like to run around and have random sex until I get pregnant" .. then I smile and walk off.

I really don't think there is a good answer - depends on you as a person. I personally seem to be a bit of a smart a$$ - and hate it when people think it "ok" to ask personal questions like that - especially when they do it in front of my kids.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I just tell them that he chose not to be involved, which is the truth. It's hard though, because there's always people who disagree with your decision. I chose not to pursue child support because I feel it's best for my daughter not to be put through that, but there's plenty of people who completely disagree with me. I just ignore them and go on about my bizz. Lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think that's kind of like asking a passerby "how are you?" instead of just saying hi; They don't really want the whole answer. If they do, they have issues and you shouldn't tell them. They're obviously not a close friend or they'd know the story. If it's a guy asking, he probably just wants to know if you're available and if it's a girl asking, well, it's possible she could be actually concerned, but chances are she's a judgemental holier than thou bad word I can't say looking for gossip. Just say "He's not in the picture, long story!" to make it funny or something like that.
    MamaMaggie3

Answer by MamaMaggie3 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yeah I'm the same way... I mean I know they don't mean anything offensive by it at all. But at the same time people should realize more of how personal this version of "how are you" or "you single??" might be... Im looking for something that can be funny-- kinda lighten up the whole thing.

For example, today I was approached by these two guys and we ended up talking for a few minutes and of coarse I had to talk about my little one! :) then one of the guys asked so where's the daddy?? Not in a mean way at all- but at the same time he doesn't realize how personal that question is. I responded I don't know-- told him to beat it. But i wish i could of said something funny....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Mar. 5, 2009