Okay the definition of a handful is...?

I have always thought of it as being a nonspecific number. Like as many M&Ms you could grab with your hand, for example. My husband says it means five because you have five fingers and that would be a full hand. Like a couple means two a handful means five! I have never thought of it that way. What does a handful mean to you?

AnnaMac

Asked by AnnaMac at 10:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• as much as you can grab in a hand :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Hmmm, a couple does mean 2, a few means 3, but, I agree with you AnnaMac, a handful is as many as you can grab! I've also heard it described as: "too many to count".
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 10:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

1. The amount that a hand can hold.

2. A small, undefined number or quantity: only a handful of people on the street.

3. One that is difficult to control or handle: The hyperactive toddler is a real handful

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• that is a pretty neat idea. i would never have thought of that, but it makes sense.

however, i agree with blessedmommy. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Thank you!! Ha! It looks like I am gonna win this one! = )
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• it means my 2 boys when they were little and my grandson when he gets really riled up and going strong.............LOL!.......they were certainly a handful and more!
    twarmymm

Answer by twarmymm at 10:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• How ever much can be fit into your hand. Example: How many goldfish crackers can you hold, M&M's...like when my son wants something like chips or something, I say grab a handful and he does LOL
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The amount the average person could grab in their hand.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 10:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009