how do you feel about high glitz beauty pageants for little girls?

my dd is 13mo. i want to start her out in pageants, but i don't know how to feel about the glitz (make-up, hair extensions, fake teeth,ect...) anyone have any experience (negative or positive) with this? is it possible to win the pageants without the fake stuff?

bestmommyeber

Asked by bestmommyeber at 10:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• it is possible to try to do the circuit without all the glitz and fake stuff, but ll the other kids will have them so i do not know how far your dd will get. Your child can be the most gorgeous but what they want is lil girls who look 15 or older. I think they can be good or bad for a childs self esteem, depending on mom. I see so many moms who are living thru their child thiws way,a nd its disturbing. Liek the daughter wins and just kinda stands there, meanwhile the mom is crying and hugging people and waving like it was SHE who won. that part is creepy to me,but not all moms are like that. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I personally think all the glitz is very unhealthy for a child's self esteem. To me it is telling girls they aren't pretty unless they have all this stuff on their face and in their hair. It looks to be the beginning of a very difficult road of low self-esteem, eating disorders, or her being more concerned about her appearance than anything else. If you want to enter pageants I would do it all natural.
    Anonymous

• I have been watching that toddler and tiaras showon TLC ( Tuesday nights) and I have seen twice now where some pageants have two types of contestants. One the glitzy and one natural and they were competing against eachother.

Last week the natural girl actually won because the glitzy girl they felt was "too trained."

So yes it appears you can do pageants more naturally.

Hope that helps.
    Anonymous

• i put my daughter in a couple starting at 4 months old. then when we went to a state comp, i saw 3 yr old girls wearing fake eyelashes, makeup, hairpieces, colored contact etc. it was ridiculous. these little girls were beautiful and didnt need to look like that. some were dressed like little tramps and thats crazy to me. so much money and pressure just to make your child think that shes only beautiful if she has all that crap on. i dont think its healthy. ill never put my daughter in somethin like that again. maybe a natural comp but thats it.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think that shows girls really not how to be. When they get older thats how they are going to want to look. Just like the bratz dolls it shows girls to be trashy and wear too much make up. if anyone if going to do a pagent do a county one or little miss snow flake. something that is fun for them
    MyGodSent

Answer by MyGodSent at 10:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't have anything nice to say about someone who puts false teeth, hair dye, and enough makeup that Tammie Faye Baker cringes on a 4 yo and thinks it makes them look cute. So I won't say anything.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I think that if at some point in time your daughter ASKS to do this, then you can be supportive. But at 13 months, you should just let her be a baby.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yuck... I hate Bratz dolls...my daughter will never own one! I do not have a problem with the natural pageants...but I think the hair extentions, the heavy heavy make up, the fake tans, the flippers (fake teeth), fake lashes, etc are wrong! I'd like to have my daughter in one...just once when she gets a little older (if she agrees to it...she is only 2 now) But, there are no pageants around here in Wichita, KS (if you know of any near here please message me lol) and I will not travel over an hour for a pageant.
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 11:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• lol.....I just made a post about this topic after watching a pageant episode on the WE channel.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2009