At what age is it ok to.....

At what age can you switch your child from a regular car seat to a booster seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I believe the law(at least in ohio) is 4 years old AND 40 lbs.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 10:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It depends on your state guidelines. They usually go by height and weight more often than age.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• yea I thought that it was like that, my son is only 2 1/2 and he knows how to unbuckle his carseat so people are telling me to put him in a booster seat but I think it is way to early!!! Although he is 37lbs and 3ft 3in. so maybe I will look up the state guidelines just to see.
    Anonymous

• They have carseats out now that rearface to 35 lbs and forward face in a harness to 65 lbs so my son won't be in a booster until he's at least 6. Most state laws are 4 AND 40 lbs tho. If you need more info or want someone to suggest a seat for you check out the carseat safety group here on cafemom.

Good luck :-)
    LukesMommy912

Answer by LukesMommy912 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• yeah, i am pretty sure each state has their own guidelines. but i just tried to find out what exactly mine were (i looked on our state webpage....lol) and couldnt find out anything specific. lol. i know there has to be something. but i would just follow the weight guidelines on the seat.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• 65lbs!! my step daughter is 8 and just within the last month broke the 65lb. mark. lol
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You would have to check the weight and height guidelines.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 11:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It goes by height and weight on the seats. There is also a maturity factor and a 2 year old isn't really mature enough (physically or mentally) for a highback booster.

If he can already unbuckle his carseat, you are looking at a safety factor. Does he do it when you're driving or only when you tell him it's okay for him to get out of his seat? If he's doing it while driving...you need to figure out a way to stop it.

If you use a high back booster and seat belt, what's to say he's actually going to sit still? I have a large 3 year old in one, but I know he sits still and stays in his seatbelt.

And the law in Ohio currently is 4 and older don't need a booster. Starting in October kids aged 4-7 will need a booster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• they go by height and weight not really age.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Also, I would go to your local police station and ask a cop. They would def know your states law on carseats better than us.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 10:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2009