Recent odd sleeping patters

My son is 7 months old, and has taken three small naps a day up until recently. Now he doesn't nap at all, wakes up earlier, and goes to sleep later. I know babies go through fases where they don't sleep as much, but I don't think that's what it is. I laid down with him today, and played a little bit of Journey for him, and he went right to sleep. He's recently cut his two front teeth, but we give him Tylenol, Oragel, and teething tablets. I know he's tired through the day because he's cranky and yawns a lot, but if we lie him down, he just cries for hours. Do you have any ideas as to what is going on and/or how to fix this?

ktrog

Asked by ktrog at 10:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 7 months, he's ready for 2 naps. one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. Try getting him up around 7 am, and laying him down at 9. Then get him up around 10:30. Play, give him lunch, at put him down around 12:30, 1. Get him up again around 3:30/ 4... then to bed at 7ish. It might take him a week or so to get him used to the schedule, but it a good one.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 10:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• growth spurt?
    InfectiousSmile

Answer by InfectiousSmile at 10:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• teething pain REALLY hurts, I recently experience the pain with my wisdom teeth so I empathize with my teething son, the pain still breaks through all those medicines. Does he have a swing that he enjoys? when mine is super fussy we let him sleep in his swing and it helps. Also chilled teether and cold baby foods help as well
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't think it's the teething pain keeping him up if your using all that stuff to help him with it. I used baby orajel on my girl and one day she put her hand in her mouth after and then I put it in mine and ended up getting some orajel in my mouth, my whole mouth went numb! But i'm confused, my daughter is in the process of cutting out her second nap now, she doesn't always take it, but she usually sleeps good throughout the night. Taking fewer naps as a baby gets older is normal, but as a result of that they usually sleep better at night. It sounds like you have to find something that puts him to sleep, like the answer above said, a swing works good for a certain amount of time but if at 7 months old that doesn't work for him anymore I'd try driving him around. I know it's a pain to have to do, but it sounds like its less of a pain than what you're going through! If Journey worked every time that would be awesome!
    MamaMaggie3

Answer by MamaMaggie3 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yes he may just be having a growth spurt! or he is going thru a nosey phase!!!
    Moma_bear

Answer by Moma_bear at 11:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2009