Does anyone understand the Social Security/disability system?

I am trying to help my step-mom geton disability. She has been disabled for about 20 years. When she first became disabled, she was working but everytime she would go work she would end up in the hospital w/ a blood clot. She tried to get disability then but was turned down. Now, she has osteoporosis with 13 broken ribs and vertabrae, COPD, legally blind, and other conditions. My dad has had her on his insurance but has recently become ill and is needing to retire but he can't because she wouldn't be covered by insurance. They live in Georgia. They are very worried about what would happen to her if something happened to him. We recently tried to get disability but turned down because she doesn't have any work credits. I've also called a lawyer that specializes in social security and they said that because it was a technical decision that they didn't think there would be anything they could do to help her. Any advice?

Danielle1304

Asked by Danielle1304 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Health

• keep applying and wear them down. For wsome reason they fight like you are asking for their personal money-THIS IS YOUR MONEY. She worked to save it into her diability /ss accounts. My mom had a lung transplant and they told her no 5 times. my cousin was born with half a heart(yules anomoly) and they turned her down for years...keep pushing and talk to another lawyer...keep talking til someone says they can help you.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• umm...you can look online info about social security/disability. check the actual gov. site. they explain it all, but some of the language can be a little technical sometimes.....i am going to probably be looking into disability for my bf here soon.

sorry i cant be of more help. good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Call several lawyers that specialize in it to help and just keep applying or appealing and make sure if something changes you add it by letting them know or reword your past applications to an updated more curent version since they can be picky how you write something down which can be a reason for denial.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2009