What is the best, safest way to whiten teeth?

I have yellow teeth(gross, I know) from smoking, drinking soda, coffee and beer for years. I was in a good routine for brushing, then for some reason(laziness, being busy; who knows) I stopped that routine. Now, my teeth are disgustingly yellow. I've cut down drastically on the smoking and drinking beer and now I need to get my teeth whiter.

I'm just wondering, what is the best, safest way to do that? My sister says that all the whitening mouthwash and toothpaste stuff is harsh for your teeth and possibly the safest way to whiten them(besides going the dentist) is to use the whitening trays or strips. Anyone ever use either of them? How well does it work?

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 10:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• going to the dentist id say
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 10:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I used the strips for my wedding. They were SO white. I did the 2 week whitening strips 3 years ago. I know they don't take as long now. I also cut coffee and dark soda, and brushed after every meal. If you do all those things you should see some results. If anything you might have to buy multiple packs..
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Oh and I only chew the trident whitening gum.
    MamaChamp

• The safest way to whiten teeth is to use baking soda straight up from the box. The whitening strips are full of harsh chemicals. If you want dental products that are proven effective and safe for you just sent me a note. Good luck.
    MizRee

Answer by MizRee at 11:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I used the Listerine whitening strips and they worked really well.

Apparently the crest strips whiten better but they move all over my teeth and I haven't finished the box because they annoy me so much.

I would like to do the Zoom whitening but I have jaw issues and I don't think I could sit in the chair that long, and I am concerned about the potential tooth sensitivity.
    Good luck.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Brush with a paste of baking soda and peroxide. The baking soda scrubs, peroxide whitens. Also, if you don't want your teeth to yellow you can drink from a straw. I get brown on the inner side of my teeth from smoking and coffee. I bought a dental pick from wal-mart for just a few bucks. It works great to scrape off the build-up and helps to get the plaque along the gum-line that the toothbrush misses.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 5:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Avon actually has a new whitening system. Its only $14.99 (way cheaper than others) I got mine a few weeks ago and saw a huge difference in a couple of days but I didn't have the pain and sensitivity that I've experienced with other brands. If you want to try it it is called the Beautifully Bright Advanced Teeth Whitening System 391-428 www.youravon.com/dhullum and use code fsany for free shipping. Check out the reviews, Everyone I know has said the same thing that it works great! As for the whitening toothpastes/washes they are really made to keep your teeth white or prevent them from getting more yellow. You won't see a very big difference at all from using the washes/toothpastes alone but try them out anyway! Whitening floss is good too. Floss at least twice a day with them! :) GL!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 3:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2009