Any advice for a parent/teacher/principal/reading teacher meeting?? My son is 6 years old and in the 1st grade. The teacher is saying that he has a problem with reading at school. I told her that he's reading fine at home and i don't understand why he's having such a problem.

He comes home with books in a bag and I have to have him read them to me at night. Every day he comes home with a new book. Well the books that they send home are for a kindergarten grade level. I told them to send home harder books for him to read and they told me that they wanted to the book in a bag to be something that he can do easily. I told them that if they don't push him then he's not going to push himself. Well last Sun. my son was telling me how his teacher didnt think he was smart enough because the other kids got to take home chapter books and he could only take home easy books that are boring. This pissed me off because I knew that was going to happen. So my question is does anyone have any advice for me to ask the teachers and principals because I'm getting sick of the school. What happened to the no kid left behind?? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you think he gets nervous at school? A lot of times the teacher can't see the childs full potentioal because the child will pull back when they are nervous. The teacher needs to be more encouraging or he will never get out of this rut. See if there is a way you can work out a different reading routine for him at school that can help him to be more comfortable.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• ugg this is why I homeschool
    Anonymous

• I thought it was nervousness too and I hate how public school thinks if you are behind in something then they should throw you on a lower level or a "special learning" class. Maybe, if the teacher actually worked with him instead of doind it the easy way, she might know what the problem is. I would tell her that.

Anonymous

• Honestly, I don't think your kid will ever read the same at school as he does to you at home. My SS has had this exact problem! In 3rd grade now, and every year his teachers say the same things to him about his reading being, "not at grade level". He is read to everynight, reads to dad everynight. I think your son suffers what my SS suffers- nervousness in front of anyone he's not familiar with, period. Don't know what else you can do about it. We feel stuck every year at conference time.
    Anonymous

• See I thought about that too! And I asked her about it and she said that he didn't seem to be having a problem so I asked what the problem is and she said that he's just acts immature and doesn't want to read. I say to that...well if she's not giving him the challenge to read at a higher level then he's not going to take anything serious at school. And this teacher has had problems with telling parents that their child has ADD and stuff. I don't know. I'm just tired of her as a teacher. It seems like she puts my son down more than she encourages him.
    Anonymous

• wow. that is insane. first i would definately talk to the school and explain that you are very upset that your child's teachers are treating him in this way. it does not build his confidence to hear his teachers think he is stupid. also, if he is having an easy time reading these books he does need harder books. they say that it is good to read easy ones over and over to build confidence, but you also have to read challenging books to help your child grow more.

i cant even imagine. i would first go in and talk to the school. talk to the teacher. talk to the reading teacher (it sounds like he is in a remedial reading group if they send books home in a bag - my step daughter did that last year). talk to the principal. make it clear exactly what you are seeing and hearing. let them know how he does at home. explain that his teachers are giving him the impression that they think he isnt smart enough. continued..
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• then if you are still not getting the response you need. look into changing schools before its too late.
    aly38914290

• The meeting is to let me know that they want to hold him back in 1st grade. I think it's crap. I work with him EVERYNIGHT for at least an hour or more going over sightwords, homework and reading different books that I pick out for him. He just read one tonight called Hot wheels. Some of the words in there I didn't think that he was going to get, but he sounded them out and got them with no help from me! So they can't tell me that he's not able to read at a 1st grade level. I'm so frustrated!

And to the mom who homeschools, If I had the time I would, but I'm in school myself and I have to work to make ends meet. But I think it's awesome that you can do that.
    Anonymous

• Acting immature? Ask her why she is trying to make him feel stupid because she thinks he is acting immature. I just picture her saying something along the lines of "Well, since you don't want to read, you will just have to read a lower level book than the rest of the class until you decide to."
    It seems like she did it purposely TO make him feel that way so he would feel obligated to do as she says. That's not encouragement. She purposely discouraged him.
    Anonymous

• if he can figure out how to sound words out on his own he is definately at 1st grade level. my 2nd grader doesn't even like to do that. she always wants to just guess at words she is struggling with. lol.

can you move him to a different school?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009