Is this bad

if u go a day without nursing or pumping can u lose ur milk? I have to stay in the hospital and can't feed my 3 week old right now. Is this ok?? I'm nervous. I want to continue nursing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could be very uncomfortable at the least. Please check about pumping while you're in the hospital...you don't want to get a breast infection.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You won't lose your milk, but you might be extremly uncomfortable. Check the hard spots in your breasts, rub them out, take a hot shower, and pump. Try to keep it regular, but no worries... you'll still have your milk, and if for some odd reason it starts to dry up, call your gyno, explain that you want to keep breastfeeding, and ask for the lacto pill.
    IzabelleMae

Answer by IzabelleMae at 12:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• tell the hospital you need to pump while you're in there.. they have pumps that dont leave the hospital for mommy's who need to pump.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You won't lose your milk that fast, it could happen as early as 3 days, but not one day. My friend had a lot of trouble trying to pump her milk and as weird as this sounds, taping noises of her baby crying and playing them while she was pumping helped. If you're not with your baby, that's one thing, but if your baby won't nurse enough, or you can't pump enough when you're together, you have to start formula feeding, even if it's just supplemental, to make sure your baby gets enough nutrition, as disappointing as that is.
    MamaMaggie3

Answer by MamaMaggie3 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yeah I'm supplementing now bc she was premature but I'm making enough milk. It's just so hard being away from her tonight and I have to worry about finding a way to pump on top of that. And then I can't even nurse for a day bc of the meds. This is such a mess
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• What meds? Most doctors don't know squat about what meds are safe. Most are. If you have the name, I can look it up in Dr. Hale's book. I'd bet its safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I'm on morphine
    Anonymous

• so ask them for a pump in the hospital so you can be pumping the bad stuff out.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009