Feeding Schedule

Ok so my dd ped said i need to feed her solid foods three times a day. FRUITS, YOGURT, and meats and veggies. Plus Juice. I am trying to figure out a good feeding schedule please help!!

Stickybean08

Asked by Stickybean08 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whoa!!! Too many solids for a six month old!

If baby is breastfed, nurse first. You can offer solids after every single nursing session if you care to, but only AFTER nursing,. Not to do so can lead to constipation.

Really, same with formula. The breastmilk and formula are still baby's main nutrition till the first birthday...baby needs more liquid than solids.

Sadly, often the WORST resource on infant nutrition is your pediatrician.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• When my son was (six months is your DD's age?) he was breastfed as often as he asked for it so about every two sometimes three hours and then we gave like four spoonfuls of rice cereal and that was it! I know that my best friend was feeding her baby at six months pureed peaches, green beans on top of formula and rice cereal. If your ped suggested it chances are DD isnt getting everything she needs from breast or formula and needs more from the solids...I agree though dont over do it or force her. Just make sure you give her the good stuff like the DHA eye and brain develop. rice cereal and then the breast or formula.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• continued...sorry didnt answer your demands...feeding schedule... I would say breast/formula then a couple spoonfuls of cereal after wards and do this for a lunch feeding also but I would only do it twice a day if not once cause you dont want her to get constipated!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My son is already on stage two and table food so this might not work for you. Anyways My son wakes up and gets yogurt w. granola and a 5oz bottle about 3hrs later he has a 6oz bottle and some gerber puffs. For lunch 2 hrs later he gets a meat a veggie and a fruit and a sippy cup with Apple juice. Three hours after that he gets a 6 oz bottle. Then for dinner he gets whatever we have for dinner pureed of course and a mixed fruit for dessert w. a 5oz bottle. Then before bed he has a 6oz bottle. Now I dont know if you LO is just starting out and if so this wont work but thats my sons schedule.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• That is a lot of food. Your baby only needs breastmilk in the first year. Solids are for fun and experimentation, not for nutrition at this point. Nurse then offer solids. I would offer solids during the day when Maddox was being a little crazy and we both needed a distraction. Don't stress yourself out by trying to stuff your kiddo. If she eats a couple bites AWESOME! If she doesn't it's no big deal. You can try again some other time. At 6 months my son hadn't even started solids yet. He didn't start until he was 8+ months old (and was still chunky and growing!) There is no rush or reason to worry about solids this early.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2009