Son's medicine is making him sick

My son's (19 months) pediatrician perscribed him Augmentin for an ear & eye infection. The problem is the medicine is giving him HORRIBLE diahreea. After 2 days I had my son stop taking the medicine and called the dr. to see if he could change the medication, when the nurse called back I was told that this was the only medicine appropriate for his conditions. I'm thinking about taking him to see another dr and get a different antibiotic. He needs something, but giving him medicine that will give him diahrea for ten days isn't the answer. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Health

• 50% if not more of ear infections are viral and won't be helped by antibiotics anyways. And that's a statistic from the American Academy of Pediatrics. But the first defense antibiotic for ear infections is usually Amoxicillin so I wonder why they gave him Augmentin instead. I've had eye infections and they've always required some type of drops, never an oral antibiotic. I would ask them why he can't have Amoxicillin...or find a new doctor.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 12:33 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Is this the first time he's ever taken this medication? If he's never taken it in the past, my thought would be a potential allergic reaction to the med. As a child, I would get diahrea from taking anything with codiene in it; allergic reactions don't have to be severe, life-threatening things. Otherwise, I agree with the anon answer above me, to ask his dr why he can't take another antibiotic. It's the very rare illness or condition that has only one med to cure/help it. I know there's at least 2 for ear infections, b/c both of my kids have taken both of them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2009