Formula for my 6 week old

I am not producing enough milk for my 6 week old so which formula would be better to give him (supplement), enfamil or similac advance? they say they are both for 0-12 months of age. He is on acid reflex medicine and is always really gassy and fussy.

MoMmYtObEtO1

Asked by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How do you know that you are not producing enough milk? Is he having 6 to 8 wet diapers and 3 poops a day? Around 6 weeks, babies go through a growth spurt. To be honest neither formula is better. Formula can and probably will make his reflex worse.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Have you tried talking to a lactation consultant? I'd ask his Pedi since he's on acid reflex meds to make sure.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 12:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I can't help you with the formula. But I do think you should give bfing another chance. Visit your local lactation consultant, they can be found at the hospital you gave birth. Also make sure you are eating and drinking enough. Try Fenugreek if you really feel you are not producing enough.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 12:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• as far as for formula, when my daughter got on it (at 6ths) i got her the similac say formula for like gassiness/spiting up/etc...but if you don't think you're producing enough milk, i would pump..that's what i did at one point, i thought i wasn't producing enough so i pumped like ever other hour for as much as possible (only for like a day) then bam, i had plenty of milk n it lasted lol
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• try pumping it helps and if not umm if he has acid reflex try useing enfamil soy thats what my sis uses and she has acid reflex its a blue can
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 12:46 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• he hasn't pooped in 2 days and only wets around 4 diapers a day. i had to give him formula because he always was hungry! i know im not producing enough because he wants to eat every 10 min and he is still looking for my nipple after he is done. Im still going to try to breastfeed i don't want him on formula but i don't want my son starving either so i have to give him formula .. i have been drinking tons and tons of water and been eating a lot. im taking him to the doctors tomorrow because im worried but i just want to know what i should give him tonight. i try to give him not very much formula and i keep putting him back to my breast, its really frustrating.
    MoMmYtObEtO1

Answer by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 12:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i try pumping between feedings and im very lucky if i get an ounce combined
    MoMmYtObEtO1

Answer by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 12:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Honey babies at that age are always hungry. Mine ate every 1 or 2 hours at this age. Giving him formula IF you really want to keep breastfeeding will only stop your supply.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The best formula is the one YOUR BABY will take, which means experimenting.

I will echo the question: Why do you think you're not producing enough? Many moms think it for these false reasons:

1. Baby always wants to eat. They're SUPPOSED to do that.

2. Baby is fussy. Also normal.

3. Mom's breasts don't feel full. Means you've regulated to demand. You're not supposed to feel full.

4. Mom doesn't pump much. Pumps get a tiny fraction of what baby can get, and what you pump is never an indication of supply.

5. Baby doesn't sleep. Baby and sleep are mutually exclusive terms!

6. Baby isn't gaining as fast as the doctor wants. But breastfed babies gain 4-6 ounces a week.

The only TRUE indication of a supply problem...the ONLY one...is the number of dipes you change. 6-8 changes per day means baby IS getting enough.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for help. Bet you're doing

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Make sure he eats for at 15-20 minutes BEFORE switching breasts to make sure he gets the more filling hindmilk. Then switch to the other breast. If he quits it, next time he eats be sure to start with the one he left off on.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2009