can u tell me why?

the hospital told a friend she has to wait till the babys poop is not black before she can leave why is that?

josalin

Asked by josalin at 1:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im not sure...I didnt have to. Did she have complications or anything? Hmm...I was supposed to stay 24 hours but they let me go early lol..so I dont know why they would do that
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Maybe to be sure baby is eating well. If she's breadtfeeding that is one way of judging if baby is nursing well and milk supply is established. Though I've never heard of that, our local hospital will weigh baby the day of discharge to make sure baby hasn't lost more than 10% of their birth weight, in which case they may keep mom and baby to make sure nursing gets well established.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• they want to make sure the baby is moving its bowels and the meconium is the first stool they have.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My boys still had "black poop" when I brought them home. I've never heard of that.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:25 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Is the baby jaundiced?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• ya both of my girls were still black when I left the hospital too
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 5, 2009