How can I stop my baby from rolling onto her tummy every time I lay her down for bed?

So i think that i am getting my almost 9 month old baby to fall asleep on her own in her crib, but the hardest thing about the situation is that every time I go and lay her down for bed she wants to roll over on her tummy. I want to start to be able to walk away from her crib so that she will start to fall asleep totally on her own but this is making it hard for me, because whenever she rolls on her tummy she just wants to play forever. Plus I still swaddle her because she sleeps so much better that way so then when she rolls over she gets loose and then really wants to play around and then she starts to fuss after a while. What do I do if I want to leave her to sleep on her own????

annamichelle608

Asked by annamichelle608 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you lay her down will she play by herself in her crib? If so let her play herself to sleep lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If she plays by her self in the crib I would just let her be until she falls asleep on her on. If she fusses a little that's okay. If she start's crying go put her on her back again and comfort her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• She's old enough to roll onto her tummy. I am not sure what the problem is. If you want to leave her to sleep on her own, then walk away. She'll sleep when she's done playing. Nine months is pretty old to swaddle
    Anonymous

• i went through the same thing. I was swaddling my DD too and i got so frustrated every time she rolled over and would play. One day I just said screw it, and I let her break out of her swaddle and play in there for a bit and she just fell asleep! I never had to do anything after that. now she never needs to be swaddled and she can pass out on her own! So just try leaving her in there, walk away, and let her go to sleep on her own. otherwise youll be standing there til shes 7 yrs old lol. So try it tomorrow! Its easier then you think!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• They say that once a baby can roll over on there own it reduces Sids by 50%. Because they have the instinct now to take themselves out of that danger ... they can roll over. So if she does it herself in her sleep its fine.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 3:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If she's rolling onto her tummy and will play by herself let her play until she falls asleep.

And it's time to lose the swaddle if she's rolling onto her tummy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• She is to old to be swaddled... She is old enough to be on her tummy.. If she is not crying or fussing ..Just lay her down in her crib and walk away. She will fall asleep eventually.

Answer by louise2 at 5:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• once they start to roll it's fine.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If you are really worried about her sleeping on her tummy without you watching her, get a sleep positioner to keep her on her back once she falls asleep. But I agree with PP if she can roll over by herself then she's fine, just keep tight sheets and no pillows in the crib (keep the crib safe for tummy sleeping)
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 3:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2009