What do you do when your child hits another kid?

I was at an indoor playground yesterday and anothher mom confronted me saying that my son had been pulling her daughter's hair & choking her. To my knowledge, my son has never done this to another child...unless provoked, but I usually correct that by talking to him. What would you have done or what would you do in my situation?

YoMomma21

Asked by YoMomma21 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If I didnt see it I would just talk to him...
    If I did see it I would talk to him once, if it happend again we would be going home for a time out
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:25 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would talk to both children and the other parent to try to find out exactly what happened. And see if the altercation was started by my child or the other one.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 1:28 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You didnt see your child doing this? ...sometimes i find it hard to believe other parents. They get pertective of their own children (understandably so) and may exagerate or not appropriatly describe what they have seen.
    In your situation i probably would just talk to my child. just as you said.
    However, if i SEE my son acting that way i put him in time-out. Without a warning. As i escort him to the time-out i explain to him that it is NEVER okay to hit (or whatever the issue is) any other person. That we need to use our nice hands. That we need to be gentle to our friends. And that i will not tolerate him hurting other ppl. ...
    My son is now 3yo. And i cannot remember the last time i have had to put him in time-out for hurting another child.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:29 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• when my daughter does I remove her from the activity get down so she can see my eyes and tell her we don't hit that is not ok in a very stern voice then I make her say sorry and if she does it again I put her in the corner or we leave
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 2:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2009