PANIC ATTACKS...

I started having anxiety about a year ago...up until then, I had never really experienced anything like it before. It was really bad when I started getting it, then it tapered off and I felt fine. I had a miscarriage 6 weeks ago, and it has gotten REALLY bad since then...I feel anxious all the time, even at home. I always feel out of it, fearing the worst, then I get myself all worked up worrying about things and I feel dizzy, hot, sweaty, and like I can't breathe and I'm about to pass out. It's getting so bad to the point that I don't like leaving my house...unless I'm going somewhere comfortable to me. I can't even go to the freaking grocery store by myself. It seems like being places where there are lots of people and big stores trigger my panic attacks even more.

sarahbell811

Asked by sarahbell811 at 1:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Health

• i have the same thing hunny and the only way to deal with them is learning how to controll them by finding a way to occupy your mind till the attack leaves..ask your dr. about klonopin its the only thing that helps mine,med wise..

sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 1:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• btw sorry for your loss i know how it feels to lose a baby..
    sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 1:55 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have the same problem and if you don't get it under control it will literally take over your life.
    Like you, there are days I can not go off by myself and can't stand crowds.
    I took klonopin for a while and decided I didn't want to live the rest of my life on meds. I have had to LEARN how to deal with them and go on.
    Good luck to you.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i agree brenda,i only take a klonopin when i am having a panic attac and i am getting to the point i can get through one without taking one..
    sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 2:12 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i went through the same thing! and a miscarriage is also what triggered me to get worse. you need to get help. I got meds bc i knew talking to someone wouldnt help just because I was so stubborn at the time. But you can always go see a psychologist and they can really help. but it sounds like you may have panic disorder which is much more severe then panic attacks. Its simply a way of describing someone who gets them frquently and it changes their everyday life style. so go talk to someone. it is possible to over come! in the meantime, try to identify them before they happen and find a way to calm yourself down. for me all i had to do was talk to one of 3 friends and just BS with them.It got my mind off of the attack and i was able to stop it. try deep breaths and focusing that youre stronger then it. it can help. good luck and im very sorry for your loss!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:12 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I use this answer alot but it is very very important to get your thyroid checked. I had thyroiditis and having major panic attacks sometimes I was scared to be in my own skin. Once my thyroid was regulated and put on cymbalta I felt so much better. When I was having an attack though the only thing that would semi calm me was valium. I am so sorry for your loss I personally know how devestating that is. Good luck to you.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 9:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Hey Doll. I'm sorry that ur having these. I tend to get them too...It started after Phil and my Grandpa died and has kinda tapered off since I had Haylie (I think its because my mind is always busy with her). If ur having them this bad it does sound like a panic disorder and I would go see ur doc. And of course, you can always call me...since I dealt with them for a while I might be able to help. But, keep in mind tthat they never totally go away...every once in a while I will still have an attack. My doc made me give up caffeine for a while, but, they made me learn to deal with it on my own so that I did not have to be medicated forever.
    HayliesMomma15

Answer by HayliesMomma15 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I've had panic attacks since I had a closed head injury 30 years ago. I suffered with them for YEARS before a doctor finally figured out what I had and prescribed Klonopin. It is a lifesaver! I take a very small dose, .25 mg twice a day. It's enough to control the attacks but not the anxiety. You'll need to learn to control the anxiety. Deep breathing techniques, relaxation techniques....I keep gum or mints handy, and just unwrapping them and popping one in my mouth is enough to get my mind's focus off the anxiety.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009