If you want a guy to sign over his parental rights

, and he's willing, can it be done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• It depends on the situation and what state you are in. In most states it is not likely to happen unless there is a father figure (like stepdad) who is willing to adopt the child.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• yes it can i been there and done that.
    sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 1:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• DEFINITELY!!!!!
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 1:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes it can be done, just don't expect or want any child support from him. I think its a sad thing to do and not in the childs best interest unless he is a child molester or drug addict. But without any info who knows?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes, but it doesn't mean he will be exempt from child support. This happed with a couple I know. she didn't want anything from him, but they made him pay even though he signed over all rights.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:57 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Again, please keep in mind that they are starting to make men more acountable for thier children. Laws and times have changed. I looked into this very topic with my lawyer. Just as i said before in most states, it is not LIKELY to happen unless there is a father figure (such as a stepdad) to adopt the child.
    Google it for your state and you will be likely to find better answers then you will from CM where everyone is from a different cohert and we all live in different states.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Most states do not allow a father to relinquish his rights voluntarily. Most states require that there is someone else that will adopt the child (stepparent).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• As some who had an absent father I kinda wish my mother had made my dad sign over his rights he didn't really want them he would of rather wiggled out of seeing me a child support then pay it and come see me it would have saved me alot of let downs and broken hearts so if this guy is totally unreliable I say cut him loose you can't make him man up and this way he can't jerk you around want to see the kid one week and say he is going to take you to court them not show up the next I think you are doing what is best for your child if this guy is totally unreliable

lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 2:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If it was that easy, lots of guys would be doing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• In the state I live in...It is possible if both parties agree to it...however...depending on your financial situation, he may still have to pay child support. And that is what guys usually want to sign their rights away for anyways, becuz they do not want to pay...So if it is the same in your area then it may be pointless to do, except if he agrees to do it. Also, having his rights signed over, he will have to pay child support, but you would have no risk of getting that child taken away by him! I would google state laws on signing over parental rights..thats what I did! Good luck hun!
    HayHayMarie2009

Answer by HayHayMarie2009 at 3:22 AM on Mar. 5, 2009