Do you allow smokers and people with fever blisters to hold your infant?

I've heard of 3rd hand smoke with smokers bc of toxic on their clothes.....and i worry about some1 sneaking a kiss while i'm not looking and giving them herpes on there mouth bc that is what they are hsv1!

sunshyne251

Asked by sunshyne251 at 2:02 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• are you kidding? lol some random person is going to run up from around the corner that happens to have a blister and kiss your child on the mouth? lol paranoia, paranoia..something's coming to get you...it's gonna get you lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• ok not just ppl i mean close friends and family?
    sunshyne251

Answer by sunshyne251 at 2:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• third hand smoke is just as dangerous as second hand smoke. the toxins linger on hair, skin, and clothing. blech! if a smoker is going to handle your baby, make sure they: wear a smoking jacket outdoors to minimize the transfer to clothing; pull their hair back so it won't touch baby; make sure they wash their hands and face. if someone has cold sores, and can't be trusted to be honest about when the are getting them/have them (you will most likely know), they should NEVER kiss your baby. if they take proper precautions, it is safe. my mom is a smoker and gets cold sores, but she made sure that neither me, my brother, or my dad ever got them. anyway, hope that helps. good luck and congrats!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't, everytime they hold my infant I hand them over the sanitizer. Infants are very sensitive.
    klazic

Answer by klazic at 4:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I did not worry about it too much. If someone recently smoked, I asked them to either change their shirt or to hold off on holding DD. I always made sure they washed their hands before they held DD. I wore my LO in a sling most of the time, which REALLY helps keep other people's hands off the LO!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• A fever blister is not ALWAYS herpes and my sister has had it her whole life and she has never given it to my kids. I think your just a little too paranoid.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I wasnt aware that the smell of the whole 3rd hand smoke thing, so my kids got held by smokers quite a few times. And as far as cold blisters, I have never even ran into that problem, but I suppose if I did I would just not offer to let them hold the baby. MAN I am glad my children are all over 2 now!!
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 6:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Good grief... where do you hang out with your kids???
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 7:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• There is such a thing as being overcautious.
    mamapaparazzi

Answer by mamapaparazzi at 7:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2009