What are your opinions on beauty pageants for children?

I just finished watching an episode of the show on WE and that sparked this question. What happened to the NATURAL beauty of a child? I am not against beauty pageants but I'm also not for them either.....to each their own. But seriously, all those little girls look fake. Actually almost everything about them is fake. Fake tans, fake teeth, fake smile, fake hair fake movements. These little girls look like miniature women. Why can't beauty pageants be the "normal" child? I felt so sorry for this one little girl. Her parents were buying her clothes from the Goodiwll for her to compete in. I have nothing against "hand me downs". I actually love used clothes for my kids. BUT, this little girl looked like an everyday little girl. She couldn't compete with the $4000 gowns, $400 bathing suits, $300 hair and make up. Of course she didn't even come close to placing because she was a "normal little girl"......a beautiful little girl.

BrendaMomOf3

Asked by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• A pageant is one thing, but all of that makeup, all of the hair, and the fake tans, and the fake nails....they're just little girls who should know that they're beautiful in their own right. I want to teach my daughter that she is beautiful as she is, because of who she is, not because I bought her a $4000.00 dress at 3 years old. I want my dd to be confident in herself, even when she can't do full makeup before leaving the house....
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 10:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i dont mind the beauty pageant but they dont need to put all the makeup on those girl they look scary and the way they smile is creepy

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Cont..... BUT, I wonder why her mother even put her in this pageant knowing she wasn't going to place. I felt so bad and cried with her. Again, she was beautiful but to judges- please, she was nothing! And another thing- can't parents put that kind of money away for the child for college or something? I think it is a lot of money to blow on a 6 year old. My son was in a beauty pageant 15 years ago and he won- with a suit from Wal-Mart. But then again, he's a boy.
    My cousin has 3 girls and they all are beauty winners. But she never used fake teeth, very little make-up and used dresses. Her girls did great in the pageants without spending all that money. I think it's ok if it is kept simple. But then again, part of me gets creeped out when 5, 6, 7 year old girls are getting judged in a bathing suit.
    Just wanted to hear other moms thoughts on this.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes, I agree the smile is creepy. They look like fake dolls up there.
    Some of them look like porcelin dolls. To me that's not natural beauty.
    If I had a daughter, I don't know if I would want to put her in one. I wouldn't want her to ever think she wasn't pretty if she didn't win.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:18 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• not a fan.
    I think they range from silly and shallow (and those are the ones where kids AREN'T all tarted up, for teaching children to compete based on appearance) to downright creepy fodder for pedophilia. (Jonbenet Ramsey in a sequined off the shoulder gown singing "Big Spender", anyone?)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:12 AM on Mar. 5, 2009