is this ok?

my 8 month old sleeps on her tummy sometimes... is that okay? i put her to bed and she ends up sleeping on her tummy. is this a problem? shes been doing it for a week now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as long as she can roll herself back over it is fine. Mine has been sleeping on his tummy since he was 4 months
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 2:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• ultimately its up to you if you allow your children to sleep on their tummy or not. Me, at eight months I wouldn't be too concerned she is old enough to turn her head to breath and roll over her self.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Sids is reduced by 50% if your baby can roll themselves over because they can take themselves out of the dangerous situation of something possibly happening. Now they can easily flip over if they needed to. Lay your baby on her back still and if he/she still rolls over just let them be- its okay. I will flip my daughter back over still though when shes sleeping-- shes 4 months and is the same way too!! hope that helped!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 3:25 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I always say... As long as your baby's mouth and nose are uncovered they'll be ok. My 7 month old keeps sleeping on his tummy. With my first I was so scared when he rolled over in his sleep... Because of all the stuff you get told, you end up paranoid... Ok, most the time it is for a good reason... But I have three kids, all slept or still sleep on there tummies... They are all ok.
    lara_b

Answer by lara_b at 3:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The way I see it, you have a choice....

Let her sleep the way she is comfortable and both of you get some good sleep.

Or....try to keep her from sleeping on her tummy so YOU don't get any sleep because you have to stay by her bed and keep rolling her back up waking her every time you do and NEITHER of you get any sleep.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:12 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It's actually worse to try to stop it. Once baby can roll, let them be. Putting anythign in place to hold them on their back is actaully a suffecation hazard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If she is strong enough to roll over, and strong enough to use her arms to push herself away from the crib bumper, I'd say she's fine. My dd always slept on her belly, even when we used a sleep positioner. She would wiggle out of it and get onto her belly. Now, she is 19 months old & prefers to sleep with her face smashed into the side of her bed and a blankie over her head....
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 10:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2009