Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where would you go to do a power of attorney on a child?

this is just to give a grandparent rights for medical and school.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • A local attorney.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • What kind of rights? At my kid's dr., I have my parents listed on their files as someone that the dr can give medical info to and get authorization from. It's just a form they have where you list name, address and phone number of anyone they can talk to regarding your child's medical care. Same thing at the school, my parents are listed as someone who can pick them up, drop them off, come to conferences, etc. I did it b/c as a single parent, I wanted some kind of back up in case something happened to me or I couldn't make it to a dr appt or a conference or something. Maybe you can check and see if there's something like that that you can do. I know, too, that Office Depot sells packs of various legal forms, and I know that power of attorney is one of them, but I don't know what exactly the requirements are on them. Hope that helps a little.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 6:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • Medical release form for the docs, and they will still have to call the parents for treatment consent. For school the parents need to list grandparents as alternitives.

    Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.