Why is religion tied to politics

It just annoys me that people pick candidates because their views on things like pro-life or pro-choice or gay marriage is in line with their views. Why can't we just seperate these issues from politics. Shoot I'm more concerned about why our gas is almost $5 a gallon and stuff keeps getting higher without salaries increasing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I know what you mean. Politics is a reflection of who we are socially and personally though. So, all of those things count. I think what is frustrating right now is we hear more about gay marriage and prolife/prochoice debates than we do about the things that are most important to us living our daily lives. I hear ya! If there was a candidate fixing this gas issue (and food issue - those prices are outrageous as a result) I would be hard pressed not to vote for him/her.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 12:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• because some people would rather feel that they are right instead of know that they are happy.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 3:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Religion and politics seem to be the two major vehicles for expressing ourselves personally and our social groups. Who we have been, are and want to become personally and socially is worked out in the religious and political arena. They are reflective of us personally and our people socially whether in conflict or in agreement. IMO that is.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 5:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, One Nations UNDER GOD.... that is why politics and religion go hand in hand.
    Anonymous

• Because our country was founded on the sole fact that we wanted freedom of religeon. We are built on God! And we elect politicians who represent our feelings about life and religeon. They are the policy makers, so we would naturally want their policies to coincide with our beliefs.
    sskyesmom

Answer by sskyesmom at 9:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Politics is closely tied to religion because both have to do with core philosophy. We all live with different things that we hold dear and close. We want a leader that closely mirrors our beliefs.
    kyraandtylersmo

Answer by kyraandtylersmo at 12:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Because politicians are lawmakers...laws govern our land...we have a religious convictions and we pay taxes and we would like to not fund things that go against our beliefs.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 3:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• some politicians USE religion to gain support, as they know most Americans are reigious, while other politicians don't use it, and keep it separate and private.
    LilDi

Answer by LilDi at 11:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• Manna and OP- I agree with your comments. I wish the 2 never intersected. I hear the term deflection used at this site, and that's what a see the religious element (issues not ppl) doing to the more broad/general issues at hand.

What issues affect the majority? Let's focus on those things.

Sometimes it seems we get so bogged down in special interests (inflammatory/emotional)...such a waste of our time and resources.

This country was founded with religious freedom in mind- FOR EVERYONE, not just certain groups. PPL need to realize they and theirs are no more special than their neighbor.

Basic respect and common decency are on the decline in this country.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Okay then stop arresting people for murder because thou shalt not kill oh stealing too.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2009