Does anyone else find it hard to make friends?

I had friends at school. But something terrible happened to me as a kid and I lost contact with them. I moved around a bit too, for serious reasons. Now I've just moved to a new area, a small village, and I can't seem to make any friends. I'm a bit different to most the people in the local area. With my crazy hair and music tatses... But that shouldn't effect me making any friends should it? I keep thinking it because I'm young (23 in May) with 3 kids or it's something else? My hubby thinks that everyone here is stuck up!!!
I'm a very thoughtful, caring person, and I'm always nice and make eye contact...
But know I'm paranoid that no one likes me (I think this the most when picking my son up from school and when getting my daughter from pre school, because no one talks to me, even after I've said hello)... Jez I'm daft.

We're leaving for Australia in the next 2 or 3 years... Maybe I'll make friends there?!

lara_b

Asked by lara_b at 5:29 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in About CafeMom

• same here. i wonder all the time why i have no friends. i have friends on here but not close by. but the friends i do have go out all the time and i dont. its hard to make friends after having kids. and it is sad that people will only be friends or talk to someone cuz of what they have or the way they look. i talk to everyone and im a nice caring loving person to. but i am also shy to. people normally have to make the first move. just be yourself and if no one likes you for you then its there mistake cuz they are missing out on a great person.
    melissa197829

Answer by melissa197829 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Most people go by looks, when they want to talk and be friends with others. If you are a lot different then most people were you live, it will be hard to make friends. Most people don't care that you are a really nice person. They see this crazy haired young lady with 3 kids. No offence.

Answer by louise2 at 5:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You are not alone my dear. I have had this exact conversation with my husband recently. I too consider my self "friendly". I love to laugh & have a good time. I use to have lots of friends in HS but I chose not to go the same route as the rest of my friends which included college. I make friends at the various jobs I have had. But now that I am not working, I don't keep in touch with those people. My problem is I don't drive so I don't have the chance to get out & met new people. Even if I did where am I going to meet people? How do you say "hi, I need friends. Will you be my friend?" I don't think people today even really want TRUE friendship either. My idea of friendship doesn't meet up with society's standards. I want someone who likes me for me & not what they can get out of me. I treat what friends I do have as family. Guess I really didn't answer that question very well..
    etropic1

Answer by etropic1 at 5:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• ditto etropic1
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 6:25 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• me! But I am shy and people mistake that for being stuckup.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• yes, i do I'm 23 with three little girls and i live in a small town of maybe 6,000 people and going any where is hard and moat girls my age are still parting and drinking , smoking and not married . so having friends that i can communicate with is nonexisting the ones i do have have 1 child and run around acting as if thier children don't exsist so yeah it is very hard all i want in life is some one other the my husband to talk to and understand me . Just another mom or any female that understands what the **** is going on in a mother life> or I'M I THE ONLY ONE IN THIS WORLD , that thier life feels like your the only one in the world>
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I live in a town of 600 people and I don't know a soul, except the local police,lol I got pulled over when I was out looking at some land for sale,lol... I wasn't speeding, I didn't have any bumpers on my jeep, they were getting repaired and my 12 yr old wanted to take it for a ride... It's a wheelin rig, anyway, should have taken the Range Rover... Oh well., so thats the only person I have met besides teachers... The Moms at school don't talk to me, not sure why so I just keep to myself and my family...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 1:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2009