do people that live in the most southern parts of the united states get colds?

I'm only asking because if you don't, I want to move there. so do ya? huh huh? I'm tired of getting sick in the winter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Health

• .... I'm sorry? Colds are caused by germs, not temperature... the reason you get more colds in winter is because you aren't washing your coats and scarves everyday (and they are getting coughed on and touched by strangers, just like your t-shirts and tank tops in summer that you wash more often) and people crowd together indoors more. Yes people in Miami still get colds. People in Brazil get colds. People in Egypt get colds... wash your hands?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You still might get sick. We lived in Yuma AZ for a 11/2. It does not get very cold down there in the winter. We now live in Oklahoma. It does get cold here. But our winters are much shorter then northern states.

Answer by louise2 at 5:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You would think that people living in southern/warmer climates would actually get MORE colds and related illnesses, because it is the FREEZING temperatures that kill viruses!

You don't get sick from cold weather. People get sick more frequently in northern/cooler climates because we are cooped up more with other people and it's easier to spread germs.

Consuming lots of vitamin C, chicken noodle soup, and getting an annual flu shot will cut down on colds and flu and related symptoms. Even with 2 young school aged children, I MIGHT get a cold every few years or so--and I'm from MA, and now live in PA. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:26 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Really?

This is a real question?

We live in SW FL and get colds.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The only place in the world that you cannot catch a cold is Antarctica because it is too cold for the virus to survive.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i also live in mis sw florida and it does get cold... a couple weeks ago there was actually frost on my husbands car when he went to work!!! like we dont wear winter coats but its not like its always 80 and sunny lol as for the cold thing ... we still get colds here
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• We live in Texas, west part of the state.... we have very seasonal winters... but we have flu and colds like everywhere else. Like one poster said... it's germs, not just weather. But if you listen to the hype on the radio, they'd have you believe that we (in these parts) don't suffer from colds as much as we do allergies... and I'm like "really..... we only have dirt and mesquite trees..." LOL
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes..I live in Atlanta and it can get kinda cold here. Nothing drastic and it never snows, but people stay sick all the time here because of the fluctuating temps. Body temps going up and down causes immune systems to weaken and then the germs that are literally everywhere go CRAZY. The key to this is in your immune system. Keep it boosted with Vit C and other things (google it) and it should help. I don't think moving to FL is going to help..but gosh darn it...I would if I could. I love the OCEAN and one day...I am going to move there, right on the beach.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009