• In the Spotlight:

how do you guys deal when your kid won't sleep?

my son is teething, so he's pretty much miserable. he never wants to sleep, he just yell. it wouldn't be so bad, if my husband didn't sleep through EVERYTHING and need me to wake him up to take cafe of D. how do you guys deal without sleep?

metalhealthmama

Asked by metalhealthmama at 6:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a 2 year old and a 5 month old. The older one wakes with my husband at 5:00 am and must have me pick him up. The little one is up 6-8 times a night. I haven't slept in years! I take Effexor for the anxiety that kicks in with the sleep deprivation. I drink coffee and try to eat well. They don't nap together so napping for me is out of the question and my husband is pretty much useless at night. He gets home at 7:00 eats and sleeps like the dead. on a rare occasion they both sleep in the car. I sit and enjoy the silence. I guess you just deal because you have to. I remind myself that its not forever and I will miss it when they are older and don't need me as much. not much help I know...but you are not alone.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You sleep when you can, when your dh comes home from work, tell him you are taking a nap.

When the kids take a nap durring the day, you can take one with them.

When mine were little, I put the oldest down for a nap and layed down with the youngest with toys or something to entertain them and fell asleep with them on the floor so if they woke up they wouldn't fall off the couch or bed.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 7:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• im just learning to live without good sleep. i havent had more than 5 straight hours of sleep since i was about 4 months pregnant. my dd is 17mths and has slept through the night twice ever. she wakes up 2 or 3 times ever night. then i realized, that im a crappy sleeper and so is my mom, so why should i expect her to sleep all night? my hubby sleeps through everything so he isnt much help at night. i just bitch a little the next day and drink lots of coffee! :) have you tried the teething tabs? theyre natural safe and effective...good luck!
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 7:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Try numbing teething gel and give the baby some tylenol at night to soothe his pain. I agree with other posters sleep when he sleeps.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• do you let him/her fuss a little bit so he can used to soothing himself back to sleep?
    dawninmanch

Answer by dawninmanch at 11:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2009