does the epidural really hurt? im a first time mom and am very skeptical about getting it. i'd rather just deal with the pain.

can you get the iv pain releiver to numb you b4 you get the epidural?

kayjazz08

Asked by kayjazz08 at 7:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on what point you recieve the epidural in your labor but the majority of the time no they don't really hurt just a pinch. I learned that the more pain I was in from the actual contractions and stuff the less I felt the epidural.
    happyplus3

Answer by happyplus3 at 7:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I only had c-sections so mine were different. Yes, it hurts going in. BUT it is worth it. Obviously for me it was. I can't be feeling them cutting my belly open. I remember looking down and saying to myself "How did my legs get like that?". The DR had moved them and I didn't feel a thing. LOL Good luck!
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 7:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i was really worried about that too. but no it hardly hurt at all and then oh good lord after they got it in and it started working it was great.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I was really scared about getting the epidural. But for me I was in a lot of pain because I had nothing but back labor. They gave me my epidural because they didn't want my bloodpressure going up any higher, so I needed to relax. Honestly, I couldn't even feel it because they insert the needle in your back when your having a contraction. The only thing I could feel was when they did the test line to see if it was inserted properly, and it just feels like cold water running down your back! It wasn't painful for me, and i'm sure others will be different, but thats because each labor is different as well!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It hurt WAY less than a contraction for me. To me it was comparable to getting numbed at the dentist. Maybe even a little less painful. You're turned away since they do it on your back, and I think that makes it a lot easier. I think to epi was totally worth it, and my baby was born alert and ready to nurse!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 7:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i got mine during a contraction cause i also had back labor.believe me once you get that epidural you will be so relieved.you will relax more and maybe get some rest...i am telling you its going to over before you know it...GOD SOMEHOW INPLANTS IT IN YOUR HEAD THAT YOU FORGET ALL ABOUT THE PAIN...and once you see that baby.....the pain is gone.....
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 7:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I had 3 of them and was too busy concentrating on my contractions and pain to even know they were doing it. It's really not that bad.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I didn't have one but was with my friend who did. There was no numbing. She had to hold very still. It gave her some relief, but not towards the end of during pushing. I think it acts differently on everyone. I used my husband as support, deep breathing, movement and extremely strong will not to have drugs, to have natural birth. It's a great experience.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• **I meant to type--not towards the end of labor, I'd say the last 45 minutes and the 2 hours she pushed. She was screaming her head off & felt quite a bit. It may have been because she'd had it in for 24 hours.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i was just like you! i am so scared of needles and the fact of were they put it freaked me out even worse. i was willing to go all natural because of that fear but man after u go 4 hours of painful contractions you dont even care about the little pinch of the epidural..i didnt..i was sooo glad i got it. i was so distracted by my contractions that i didnt even notice them putting it it.
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2009