8 month old waking constantly through night

When my daughter turned 6 months she suddenly started waking up all throughout the night. Before she was a sound sleeper and would wake 6-8 hours after for her bottle and then go back down. She would sleep for a total of 11 hours. At 6 months, however, she started waking 30 minutes after I put her to bed and would just cry. I would have to rock her back to sleep in order to put her down in her crib. From that point on, she would wake every 1-3 hours and I would have to do the same routine. I thought maybe this was just teething, but she hasn't popped any teeth and she is now 8 months old and exhibiting the same restless sleep and waking. Please help!

kkurth

Asked by kkurth at 7:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honey mine is sixteen months old and still wakes up at least twice a night if you find a good answer let me know
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:46 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I dont know if you will be able to check out this site, cause you may have to log in but:

http://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/basics/getting-a-full-nights-sleep/

I think she is waking up and staying up cause she knows that you will come and cuddle... Lots of babies do this. I would let her cry for 5 min, go check on her, do not pick her up but rub her back/belly and let her know your there... than wait 10 min and then 15, it will be hard, but you will only have to do it 5 days max. Good Luck! I know it works!! We did it with a 18 month old and a 7 month old!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My 17 month old still wakes up at night! Even though there aren't any visible signs of any teeth, she could be teething and also at this stage my daughter just wanted to be held and loved a litlle extra. So i did , but it's hard to try to get the sleep. My kids never stopped crying after 5 mintues of being in bed, it always took them 1/2 hr. to stop crying. If you can handle it, go for it, but if not, go in and cuddle with her cuz this time too will pass. They grow up so quick and you will look back and wish you could still cuddle with her like that. Also tylenol helps before bed, and maybe she has a gassy tummy and needs gas drops!
    zee1206

Answer by zee1206 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My twins are now 7 months old and they sleep thru the whole night. But sometimes one of the twins Cries in the middle of the night. he does have little marks that look like teeth... So even tho you don't see the teeth they are coming...... Some babies just wake up one morning with a little tooth showing and never cry... Like my middle son did. I can say someone told me to feed them a bottle as late as you can at night this will make them full. So between 10 pm and 11 pm I give the twins a bottle with cereal in it. It works, but the rocking may be why she is crying. I would do what the lady up there said to see if it is that. Let her cry for a little bit, and she maybe like my one twin that cries and talks to put himself back to sleep. I let him be and he goes back to sleep. My doctor said tylenol for the teething is great 1/2 hr before bed.... The gas in tummy you would know they pull up their legs and scream..
    VIVTWINS

Answer by VIVTWINS at 9:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Thanks for the link at parents.com.
    my 6 month old also wakes up middle in the night. but we co-sleep him and breast-feeding throgh night makes him comfortable and me uncomfortable as I have to sleep on one side and have to be very careful and awake-minded throughtout the night. I am happy because my son gets good nights sleep and is less crancky in the mornings.
    nik301

Answer by nik301 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• MY son did this too... he's 7 1/2 months. Some was teething and once his bottom 2 came through it got a little better... but he still is up 1-2 times/night and I can live with that.
    The other thing my pediatrician said was at around this age they start to know crying can bring mom and dad to them. So we wait a couple of minutes before we go to him... sometimes he fusses a couple of minutes and goes back to sleep... other times he needs us to help him back to sleep or wants to eat.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2009