How do I stop my 2yr old from saying the F word?

In our home bad words are not heard. She says something that sounds like f u but I had sat her down and and started playing a word game with her and said the f word to see if that was what she was saying and at first it was not but and her birthday party her aunt and uncle let it go all the time. Do I let it go because she is two and does not know its bad or do I tell her its a bad word, which I have done and she said it again this morning, or do i do time out and soap? I mean other than that she is a WONDERFUL child I could not ask for more but MOMS HELP ME PLEASE!

MyGodSent

Asked by MyGodSent at 8:25 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My best advice is to ignore it. If you pay attention to it or tell her NO at this point she will keep saying it because she will know she gets attention from saying it. Just ignore it like it's just another word and she will stop saying it. :) Good luck!
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• honestly i wouldnt ignore it cus you dont want another child to hear it..lol but everytime she says it put her in time out. it will not work right away but eventually she will stop. but keep the time outs in the same spot. even if your at someone elses home time out over there to. and if she keeps getting out of time out just put her right back in time out and it doesnt have to be long just keep the time at her age. good luck momma. kids pick up everything but its up to you to make sure they know its not exceptable. my son is 5 and he still says things that he hears and i put him in time out. its sad cuz its not their fault.
    melissa197829

Answer by melissa197829 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have a 2 year old daughter also, and she hasn't said repeated a curse word, but I wouldn't ignore the problem-that doesn't solve anything in my opinion as a parent. It only makes the matter worse. Tell her no that it's not a nice word, and she is not allowed to say it. When she does say it try to ask her if she is saying Frog-keep saying Frog so she picks up on a new word and loses "interest in the F word." I would also ask your aunt and uncle to watch their mouths around young children, because as you know right now they are sponges and pick up on everything. My daughter doesn't miss a thing, and my husband and I have a friend that curses alot, and when he comes over we tell him to watch his mouth.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I'd try to be low key about it, but would tell her not to say it and that's it is not a nice word. She's not going to know it's not allowed if she's not told that it's not allowed. But I wouldn't soap her mouth or do a harsh punishment as she is doing it in innocence of being too young to know what she's saying and not out of out and out rebellion, kwim?

SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 9:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I agree you shouldn't make a huge deal out of it. When she does say it, remind her it's not a nice word and we don't say it, and then move on. If you make a big deal out of it, it may become a game. She will start saying it just to get attention.
    PnMMom

Answer by PnMMom at 9:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i wouldnt make a big deal about it because when she says it she probably wants some kind of reaction from you. but when she does say it just stay calm and put her in time out or wat ever style of discipline you do. after a while she will realize that it doesnt get your attention and its obviously something bad if she keeps gettin in time out
    JuJu_Bean

Answer by JuJu_Bean at 9:17 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• She's a baby! When she says it just tell her Mommy doesn't like that word. Or say something in a silly tone like "Did you just say fudge?" And do it every time. She will quickly replace fudge for f***.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 5, 2009