suddenly doesn't like homemade baby food

my baby just turned one and he has started to not like homemade baby food. he is always using his hand pushing the spoon away. he loves yogurt and jarred baby food. and he likes finger foods. he only has 4 teeth, so he has a limited amount of finger food he can eat. is there a way to make my food more like jarred food? i usually mix his fruits/veggies/meats in with baby cereal and juice.

susanjpt

Asked by susanjpt at 8:26 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They don't need teeth to eat table foods, they chew with their gum's. i would try little pieces of banana or other softer foods and see what he does with them.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Maybe he is ready for table food? Try that and see how it goes.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• At that age the teeth aren't really for chewing, it's the gums that do the work. Try some soft table foods and see how he does.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 8:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• what would make a good meal? he does do well with banans, pancakes, cheerios, some crackers, and other soft fruits. but in don't reel lilke it is enough for a meal. what are some meal ideas??
    susanjpt

Answer by susanjpt at 9:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Start giving him diced up soft pieces of what you're eating. As stated by others...they don't chew with teeth now anyway...not until they get their molars.

I always looked at it this way...if my toothless grandmother could eat it, so could they.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:33 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• anyone have any sample menus of table food for this age??
    susanjpt

Answer by susanjpt at 10:55 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• my son started doing this with jar baby food. he'd turn his head away from the spoon and would not open his mouth. He wanted to eat table food and feed himself. And he only had 4 teeth at the time so it was alot of toast and soft fruits and veggies like carrots, green beans, peaches, bananas etc.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• thanks for all your help. i guess it just seemed to me that most of that stuff is snacks and not really able to make a meal out of. but i guess i should be happy that he will be eating healthy.
    susanjpt

Answer by susanjpt at 8:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2009