I can't get my 4 year old to sleep in his room...

My son will be 4 at the end of the month. I can not get him to sleep in his bedroom. He sleeps on the floor in the living room. He says he has bad dreams when he sleeps in his room. We have tried everything. My husband even made what we called a bad dream catcher and hung it aboove his bed. We told him it would catch all the bad dreams if he had any. I just don't know what to do. I am considering switching his bedroom with the babies. Does anyone think that will help? Any suggestions? Last he had a complete melt down when it was time for bed. I just breaks my heart!! I need help!!

KarenL026

Asked by KarenL026 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you've done the whole shabang like night lite, calming bath, bedtime story and it's still not working you can either let him sleep where he wants or just keep putting him back in his room. At his age they start to become scared of everything and it's normal. Maybe leave his light on and door open. Just keep trying different things but the key is to stick with it. I know it breaks your heart but it will break your heart even more when he's miserable because he's not getting a good night sleep in his comfy bed and you aren't either. Good luck!
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i have the same problem. my son is 5 and he will not sleep by himself. he sleeps in my bed and if i wont stay in the room with him till he falls asleep he will sneak in the bed with his sister. i dont know how to break this. he shares a room with his brother but he is afraid to sleep upstairs and by himself. i dont get it. and he has been doing this since he was a baby THANKS TO DADDY...lol
    melissa197829

Answer by melissa197829 at 8:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I wish I had an answer for that one lol. My DD will be 4 at the end of next month and she will not what so ever sleep in her bed or even in her room she sleeps by our bedroom door on the hallway floor. LOL I have no idea what to do, but daddy and I cannot have fun because she doesn't fall asleep until well after we do lol. I tried to make her sleep in her room but I feel bad because she screams when I put her in her bed. When I aske her why she doesn't want to sleep in her bed or even in her room she just says "because I don't want too" So I am in the same boat as you right now.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• my dtr was the same way at 4. we would let her fall asleep on the couch, and then when we went to bed we would put her in her bed asleep. we did this for about a week.when she woke up the next morning shewould be in her room and she was fine. after that always sleeps in room at nite no problems. she is almost 8 now. good luck.
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Our son wont sleep in his room. he sleeps in oUR BED. UGH. IDk how to get him to sleep in his room we have tried everything. So i need advice on this too!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Just let him sleep in your room! He'll only be little once. My girly sleeps snuggled up to me.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 1:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My daughter is 3 years old and sleeps in bed with me. She just asked me yesterday to sleep in her room and at 12AM this morning I hear her crying and she came back to sleep with me. I say whatever you feel is right. Don't listen to anyone else because when they are ready they will let you know. I think if you push there could be problems, but no ones knows better than you do, you are the mother.
    as far as my daughter goes I will take it one day at a time and see what happens.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My son will be 5 this month and we have the same problem. He won't sleep in his bed. If he falls asleep somewhere else dh moves him to his room and within an hour he is back in our room. I want to break him of the habit but nothing seems to work. I'm thinking that he might be jelous since I'm nearly 6 months pregnant and he wants to be with me. I can't sleep with him in our bed b/c he has to be right up againest me and so does dh, I have enough trouble sleeping when I'm the only one in the bed.
    Anonymous