Is it possible for your water to break and you not know it?

It was the middle of the night last night and I wake up in so much achy pain, so I was kinda out of it. I stumble to the bathroom and pee like a ton, but I slept a little longer than usual, so I had more to give, lol. But is it possible for your water to break, and you not know it?>??

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 8:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you were peeing and tried to stop the pee and it doesn't stop thats your water breaking. I think the only way thats possible is if you have a leak and it just drizzles here and there. But it shouldn't be confused with pee.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• hmm they had to break my water all three times so i dont know
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If it's a continued trickle or flow or even a gush, that's your water breaking. I'm pretty sure you would know.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You know somepeople I know said that they didn't know there water broke they thought they were peeing but then they couldn't stop. With my first I had cervidel my water broke 4 hours later it was my first baby and I still new my water broke. I felt a jerk in my belly it almost felt like a pop. I didn't feel the gush though until they sat me up to give the epidural then it wouldn't stop lol. The second time they had to break my water and for that one even I felt a pop feeling in my belly. But everyone is diffrent I guess. Call and ask the dr is all I can really say.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Oh ya you know what they told me. They said if I had a kind of sweet smell to it then call the dr asap because they said I could be leaking fluid good luck
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It is possible- it happened to me when I was in labour with my middle child. My water broke at home but I didn't realize it because her head was so low that most of the fluid was trapped behind her. Even when I lay down there was no 'leaking.' We drove to the hospital and everything without my clothes feeling wet or anything, I had no clue my water had broken until the nurse told me when she checked me. When my daughter was delivered we could see where the rest of the fluid went- once her head came out there was a huge gush of fluid. So it can happen, and if you feel you may be leaking fluid it's better to check with your doctor. With my other two kids my water was artificially ruptured when I was in labour and there was no mistaking it- but dd 1 was sneaky about it!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• during a weekly exam would the doc be able to feel if the water had broke even if you didnt ask him?
    c2customs

Answer by c2customs at 9:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• you can have a very slow leak and not know it. My mom did with me. I was 3 weeks overdue, and I was a dry birth
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2009