Just a question to nonbelievers(anyone can answer though)

My son is a strong Christian and even plans on going into the ministry.He feels it is important to have a conversation about his beliefs and not just a preaching session.My question is,as a nonbeliever or a believer of something different,if he came to you and wanted to talk about his beliefs but expressed an interest in your beliefs just to be in the know,would you listen to him?Even though some of you think it is garbage?
BTW,he would never say someone else's beliefs are garbage.

laranadtony

Asked by laranadtony at 9:24 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I consider myself Agnostic, which to me means that I'm not sure what I believe...I am not an Athiest, but I also don't consider myself religious but I am extremely interested in what others believe in an effort to figure out once an for all exactly what I do or don't believe....so, I would be interested in talking to him. The only question I have is, exactly how would he "come to me" to discuss this? Kwim? I mean, is he going door to door like Jehovah's Witnesses? Will he stop me on the street? That kind of thing wouldn't fly...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:29 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes I would,I have no problem,dicussing my beleifs,nor do I have a problem listening to someone else beleifs.Good for him ,for wanting to go into the ministry.You should be proud.Good Luck to him.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• no gramsmom.I mean if it comes up in coversation.He is proud of what he is but does not feel the need to announce it.If he is doing what he should be doing,you should be able to see it.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 9:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Honestly, it would depend on how he wanted to talk to me about his beliefs, and why he was interested in mine.

If the goal was to "save" me from being an atheist, and to listen to my beliefs in order to get ammunition in order to tell me I'm wrong, I wouldn't be interested in talking to your son.

If the goal was just to learn and share, he could keep the "you should's" out of things, and he'd be willing to let the conversation stop when I wanted to (or he wanted to whomever was first)  I'd be happy to discuss things.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 9:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• He won't say "you should " unless he is talking about what kind of tires you have on your car.He may say"You should follow your own beliefs".And what he means by that is.He believes his beliefs to be truth but that is HIS truth but may not your's.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 9:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would... as long as questions can go both ways with both parties being honest and not want to do any converting of each other... and each listen to each other... sure ...

Good Luck to your son

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• He does not try to covert a lot.He thinks that people should see his peacefulness and want it or he is not doing what he should.He does not believe that "true" christians should have to preach at all.He is like me though,he thinks all the hell and condemnation forces people to buy an "insurance policy " and is not real christianity.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 9:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• lol, if he was respectful as you said, then yes I would have no problem talking with him. My DD's grandfather (on her father's side) is a Deacon for a Baptist Church, and we talk quite a bit about our beliefs, and we both enjoy it. He enjoys listening to my point of views, as do I his. A good preacher must first be a good listener.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• He is infatuated now(and someone will say oh no) with the similiarites between Christianity and wicca.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 9:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have absolutely no problem with honestly inquiring minds... We are completely upfront and honest about our beliefs with everyone but the MIL, with whom we just don't discuss religion (it keeps Thanksgiving peaceful). We have even been known to invite in the Mormon missionaries, and others for a mutual exchange of information and ideologies (strangely, only the JW's and Mormons have been able to do so in a non-converting and respectful manner...).

Generally speaking, unless you (universal you) attack their beliefs specifically, or tell them that they need to be saved, or any other "I am right, you are wrong" type of attitude, MOST persons of other theological (and atheological) opinions are more than happy to DISCUSS (and if done respectfully, even debate) their beleifs with others.

Unfortunately, this being Cafemom, someone always takes something the wrong way. and the shit hits the fan.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:57 AM on Mar. 5, 2009