Today I go for my 36 week checkup...

and the ob doc I normally see arent going to be there and I have to see the midwife? I never met this midwife. I am so nervous. Does anyone see a midwife and ob doc? I also want/need to be checked. I am hoping she is gentle with me. Are midwifes like obgyn docs?

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've never seen a midwife b/c my pregnancy was technically high risk until they made sure all was well and I chose to just keep seeing the doc.... but midwifes I hear usually pay more attention to you and are more gentle with you than the doctors. Midwifes aren't doctors but I think they do go to school, midwifery school or soemthing. They help with home births, births at a birthing center and can come to the hospital and help as well. For your appointment I'm sure you will be fine seeing a midwife, you may even get some more answers.....GL!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• no MW's are NOT like OB's- they have a totally different operating system than an OB, and i would be a lot more likely to trust an MW than an ob, they look at pregnancy as a natural course of events, not a medical condidion. you're more likely to get more helpful and practical info from her... so don't be nervous. also, MOST MW's don't believe in "checking" for the sake of checking, because it can potentially intorduce unnecessary bacteria... unless you're feeling something, its not necessary to be checked at all. they are also A LOT more gentle than most OB's... so don't fret. i've had really great relationships with my MW's, and still do, though my youngest is almost 2!

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• With you going to your OB and a mw already being there in the practice I am assuming that she is a nurse midwife. They are abit more clinical than direct entry or other types of mw's, but honestly she will take your opinion into consideration, and just ask her. The worse she is going to do is offer a reason why she doesn't want to, but I dont see her saying no unless there is a reason. Mw's are generally more natural in the way they do things, but nmw'a do work alot more closely with Dr's and OB's and she should respect that is the standard of care you are expecting. Nmw's have RN training and go to midwifery school too, they just dont have the ability to do surgical things and if high risk they have to transfer care to a dr but most will do that anyway.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:55 AM on Mar. 5, 2009