How often do you pump?

So, I'm trying to get some extra milk stored up but my 9 day old son is drinking more & more at each feeding and I feel like the only time I'm "ready" to pump is, unfortunately, when he's almost finishes with his last bottle. What did you do to stock up? How often did you pump? How often did you feed? If I keep trying to pump more even though they're not fully ready, will my boobs begin to produce more, more often?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 9:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At first morning feeding. Pump on one side while baby eats on the other. It is amazing how much you can put away.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Pump one side while nursing the other. You don't need to wait for your breasts to "Fill"...milk is made WHILE NURSING.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• By the way...is baby on the breast AND getting bottles? Best to only nurse him from the breast and save every pumped drop for when you're not with him. If you're home, nurse. Bottles only for when you're gone. It will encourage supply and make you able to pump more. Replacing nursing sessions with bottles is shooting yourself in the foot.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:05 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I try to pump after every feeding. It builds up my supply, and there is always some just in case.
    tattooedmomma23

Answer by tattooedmomma23 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The more you nurse (or pump) the more milk your body will produce. It's a supply and demand thing. Have you tried just nursing him for a little bit? Babies are much more efficient at expressing milk than pumps are so often women will nurse in the beginning to establish a good supply before they start exclusively pumping. You can also try nursing on one side while pumping on the other. Since your baby is so young you should be pumping every 2 hours. You need to pump every time your baby eats.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Well, I know this sounds weird, but when my baby nurses on my left breast, my right breast leaks, so I just hold a bottle under my nipple and let it catch the milk. I gave up pumping though b/c my DD won't take a bottle.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:24 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I tried pumping & nursing at the same time for the first time today. It went okay, but instead of pumping the usual 4 ozs. on my left breast, I only pumped 2!!! And in response to ABPeterson, it's not weird. The same thing happens to me, and it happens BAD! Whichever one I'm not nursing or pumping on will leak, so I just get the bottle that I'm going to transfer the milk to, and stick it under my boob to catch my drips. I usually end up getting an ounce or 2 in the amount of time it takes my other breast to pump 4 or 5 :) That's always nice!
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 2:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2009