Any suggestions on dealing with someone who has dementia?

My father is having problems with memory, getting lost, sever mood swings, he was released from his job bc of his memory, he gets shitty when it is brought up about him going to the doctor to get some help and I'm not sure what step to take next, his wife is about to have a break down and I'm trying to help but need some advice.

INDIANAMOM

Asked by INDIANAMOM at 9:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Health

• Tell Him To Go with You If He neds to see the dr. an While your speaking to dr. have him looked at They will help you ! May things work out for you all!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• They have done an mri to make sure he hasn't had a stroke, one dr related it to stress and brushed if off, he's getting worse every day but we aren't getting thru to him!
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• now is it just memory loss or is he seeing things? talking about all the wall things? like seeing a baby in a tissue box... kids playing outside when theyre aren't? kids in the basement? things crawling on the wall... just talking like he is out if it?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• No he's not seeing things, he's gotten lost on his way home, he's gotten lost in the store (a little store), he can't do simple things any more like put together swings or toys for the kids, can't dial a phone # that is new to him and even has trouble giving $ when he checks out at the store, like he's not sure how much to give...is really clingy and won't let mama out of his site when she's at home, and goes to the bank everyday to make sure how much he has like he's paranoid.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Well that does sound like early stages of it. Has he been on any new meds lately? Like since all of this started?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It's been going on for awhile, my mama just thought it was stress and tried to deal with it by herself for awhile, but now everyone who talks to him notices it...he has had 2 trips to the hospital in nov & dec for his heart and is on a cholesterol med that's diff now, but his heart dr did adjust to see if it made a differance and it didn't. His mother did have dementia but she was 15 yrs older than he is now.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 10:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My mothers MIL has this. Very badly I might add. She was brought here from SF to live with my mom and step dad because she could not care for herself and her other son (40yrs old) refused to take care of her. She stayed with them for a few months and it got increasingly worse. TO the point that my mother could no longer care for her. She pees in the floor, strips off her clothes, roams the house at night and gets into things, is beligerant and doesnt know where shes at at all and doesnt know anyone. Luckily she did have some money saved and from the sale of her home in Cali, they put her in an assisted living facility. THey have problems with her as well. My mother and step dad (her son) don't even want to go visit because shes so difficult. I believe shes on valium ( or something similar) aricept, and respiradol or something like that. They had a hard time figuring out what worked for her and changed it up a few times.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:22 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• He needs to see a doc for sure. You are right to try to get him to go. He needs to be referred to a neurologist so someone will listen. Tell Dad you want to spend the day with him. You know "to give mama some time to herself". Then mentioned YOU have a check up and he can come with you (do not mention until at the door to office lol). Then just get him checked. It may sound like trickery but if he has dimentia you have to become creative.
    truckincowgirl

Answer by truckincowgirl at 12:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2009