Gay Marriage, why not?

What does is hurt to allow gay people to get married? California lawmakers are going to court again it seems, to listen to arguements to overturn the ban on gay marriage. Besides people thinking it's "against nature", really, what harm is it if two people who love eachother get married? What reasons are there to not allow gay marriage, (besides religious ones). Also, if there is supposed to be a separation of church and state, doesn't banning the gay marriage contradict that? I'd like your thoughts.

GMR

Asked by GMR at 10:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You know, go ahead and live up to *your* principles, but why make everyone else?? FWIW, the religious right is way more frightening to me than the gay community. I think the RR are the ones getting America in to trouble these days to be quite honest.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• An even deeper question...if there is really separation of church and state, should the government be in the marriage game at all?

Answer by gdiamante at 10:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I hope people can marry who they love. Everybody deserves to be happy. I don't see anything wrong with gay marriage.

Marriage is between two adults who love,respect,support each other.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 10:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• What do you mean "besides religious ones"....that is the #1 reason that we are against it. Either you believe that homosexual relationships should be recognized by the government or you don't. I was raised in a Christian home and will never change my views. Homosexual relations are not spoken well of in the Bible and even though I will tolerate and treat homosexuals cordially, (in the workplace and such) I will never vote that they should have the right to "marriage". Marriage is between a man and a woman, if we change the laws definition of marriage, who knows what other groups are going to want their unions recognized..such as the Man and Boy Association or polygamists.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have no problems with any individual getting married - homosexual or heterosexual couples. For me it is about equal opportunities and not discriminating against someone based on their sexuality. I can only hope that by the time my child is old enough to have a relationship that if he is gay then he can have the same opportunities as homosexuals in terms of marriage and all the benefits that come with it. Rock on to civil rights and equal rights!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think Army Wife has a good point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Armywife2000 couldn't agree more!!!! I grew up in a christian home as well- religion is what you believe- now why does everyone always say- take religion out of it. That isn't fair to ask because that is what makes our morals and what we believe.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The state of California had the voters decide. What is the point of voting if you are going to over turn the decision anyways? Kind of makes you feel like your vote doesnt' matter!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

Wow, that's original.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 10:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2009