Am I a bad mom?

My daughter is almost 2 and I can't get her to stop this morning. She has done nothing but cry or scream at me all day long. I know alot of it is she had a hard day yesterday (had a family emergency come up) and she didn't take a nap at all and then went to bed late too, and woke up at her normal time. So I am pretty sure she is just tottaly exhausted. I tried to rock her, lay down with her, and finally my nerves are so shot I just put her in bed. But she is in there screaming (which is all she was doing before I laid her down too). She isn't sick, nothing else different for her to get clingy. Am I horrible to just leave her to cry? She really needs to sleep and I don't know how else to get her to. I am seriously fixing to go sit on the front porch I am so stressed over this and only come in to check every couple of minutes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes you have to take your self out of the situation and breath! You ARE NOT a bad mom for that! When you step out make sure she is secure in her crib and can not hurt her self, walk outside breath and focus on your sanity for a moment.

The problem comes when people think they can not step away and regather their thought, but when you don't do this it leads to shaken baby syndrome and other HORRIFIC things.

So please take a moment for your self and then go back in with a clear mind.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I've been there, and you do what you've gotta do. She's in a safe place, and you've done all you can. You need a break, too. You're not a bad mom. You're just human.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't think you are a bad mom, all of us need a break at some point or another. But I wouldn't sit on the porch either. Something might happen and you wouldn't be able to hear it. That would be my concern. We all have our bad days and I guess your dd is having hers today. Good luck, & you are doing nothing to cause you to be a bad mom.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• or course your not horrible, silly woman. Trust me, it's not going to kill her to cry. Once you've calmed down a bit, then go back in there with her and try again. Usually when we are calm, our babies will calm down. Trust me, a good mother will put a VERY cranky child in a safe place. You are fine honey
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It will not hurt her to cry, especially if you just can't deal with it any longer. She will probabl fall asleep. Or just deal with her, hold her whatever until her nap time.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 10:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• IS SHE CRYING BLOOD...NOPE...LET HER BEHIND STAY IN THERE IN CRY...ITLL HURT...ITLL SURE PAY OFF IN THE LONG RUN....WHO DONE SPOILED HER ANYWAY?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Of course your not a horrible mom!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i've been there too! sometimes kids need to cry to get that energy out. i've thrown my kid in his bedroom before and when outside a cried untill he finally feel asleep. it;s better than losing you temper!
    dawninmanch

Answer by dawninmanch at 10:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009